Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Taz's first brisket

2»

Comments

• Lol, yes plenty of time. Meat temp isn't going g down, but grate temp dropped a couple. Watching mythbusters make a rocket powered go-cart with methanol, and a 55 gallon drum. Actually reminds me of an egg flashback.
    Lol, I really should get something done.
    I've seen that one............I won't spoil it for you
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    OK, at 165....... still..
    of course once I hot the stall the wife suggests we go look for a table.
    one thing that amazes me about smoking in the egg is how little smoke it generates Compared to my old vertical smoker which leaked air everywhere, and smoked out the neighborhood.
    The egg just gives it a nice scent.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Can't wait to see the results Taz. I bet it's going to be delicious
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    How many beers so far? Stalls can make one thirsty, be careful.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • tazcrash
    @eggo, I wish.
    OK, 12 hours in, and its at 176.
    Now....... foil! Also pitting up the temp a bit
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Very thirsty. I didn't even do a brisket today and your stall made me thirsty. They are sneaky that way.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Having just written the below for CAWjr-FWIW-

When you are ready to slice, at the risk of stating the obvious, slice against the grain and be ready to consume-it dries out very quickly.  Just vary the width of your slices depending on the relative tenderness.  It will have great flavor-enjoy and let us know how the Texas crutch worked to punch it home.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash
    OK, looks like I have to feed the natives.
    what's the best way to store/ reheat brisket?

:(
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • If you have a food saver put 1lb bundles in there. Then warm in hot water When ready (I have a sous vide that I use and it works great).
  • lousubcap
    Don't know the best way to store but since there are two of us that I routinely cook for (so imagine the "left-overs" even with a flat) I just slice what I want off the original cook then pop into the frig.  Downstream I pull the meteorite out, slice what I want and (heretic read here) put a small amount of water on it before heating to consumption temp.  Works for me-and food consumption rises exponentially shortly as two college aged human garbage grinders (males) pass through the open-wallet estate for a bit-enjoy your efforts!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash
    Have a food saver, I'm guessing save it sliced.

And thanks Lou for info on the slicing
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    OK, 197 on the thermapen, and still a bit tough taking temp.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    OK. Dinner was served, at 7. And the brisket was great. Everyone said its worth doing again, and my diet went out the window. :)
    Tender juicy, a little kick on the crust.

The grate was a wreck, and so was the plate setter, so I'm doing a clean before the rain hits.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Hells Yeah Taz! Nice looking Brisket. Save it sliced in the food saver. 
  • tazcrash
    edited April 2012
    Thanks to Cen-tex, and Lousubcap, and Elder Ward.
    OK. 
    Out of shiner Bock, and the amount of brisket I can have. ;) 

Egg is up to 700, and letting her burn baby burn.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • lousubcap

Glad it worked out- flats do have a small window for success-glad you found it-nothin like a homerun on your first at-bat! Congrats on your journey-as Cen-Tex would say just keep experimentin and learn as you go.  And more beer in reserve the next time:)

Hope you have an upgraded gasket otherwise that 700 burn will yield a whole new challenge. 

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and all the bonus meteorite you can eat!

• tazcrash
    OK, some more pics of the burn.
    Seems to have maxed at 700 with the Turbo grate, RO lump, play setter, and grid.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    @Lou, I have more beer, but I didn't want to wash down a TX style brisket with new England beer. ;)
    As far as the burn.... I have a nomex replacement gasket in the wings.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • lousubcap
    @tazcrash-I shoulda known anyone wrestlin a flat would be well-stocked.  Good luck with the gasket-hopefully not needed now but likely will be down the road.  Enjoy your next brisket adventure-always a journey, always beer and always fun.
  • CAWjr
    CAWjr Posts: 25
    Very nice!  Yours came out a whole lot better than mine.  I may need some pointers for next time!
  • tazcrash
    Just as a last update. The egg was over 700, and I didn't open it until it burned down to 400 to do do a little grid scraping.
    No further gasket damage. :)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Nice job fellow leftie ... did you actually have leftovers?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • tazcrash
    I've got just under 2 lbs left. I would have had more, but... something happened transferring to food to the bag.
    (I had to start chewing gum to get anything in there! Lol ).
    and for full disclosure, I used my left index finger because my right finger was a bit tender since I missed the first pic and the meat was still hot. LOL
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257

Picked up some meat from a local butcher here in MN. 25 lbs of choice cut ribeyes for $7.09/ lb, 4 - 10 lb pork butts @ $1.59/ lb choice and two 12 lb briskets for $1.89/ lb. choice.

Look for another butcher. Will also be watching and I will be doing a butt and brisket starting tomorrow afternoon.

Hey BG136 where do you get that stuff? I live in Mankato and would love to get my hands on some choice brisket at that price.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • tazcrash
    And as the final closer. Here after the burn off:
    I forgot how white it can be in there.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!!