Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Idiotic pork butt question

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,745
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking my second pork butt, my question... Does it make that much of a difference in flavor and time using 225 or 250 grill grate temp?
·

Comments

• Nope,Just a Little quiker in the end
    LET'S EAT
    ·
  • No.

·
  • Another question, any good apps for droid phones that are bbq related?
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,821
    Do 300 Except for time, you won't be able to tell the difference.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • I am cooking a butt now, I put it on last night at 225. I use a guru. The temp right now is 171. Been on since 6 pm. Looks like I am going to have at least a 18 hour cook. What meat temp do you like? I normally go to 205. I am going to wrap them in foil and towels and put it in cooler. Serve at 5 pm.
    ·
  • pezking7ppezking7p Posts: 132
    My first one on the egg got up to 300 over night, woke up (only 8 hours in to the cook) to find my egg at 300 and the butt at 198.

I pulled it and we had it for brunch, it was my best butt yet. 
    ·
  • With my guru I solved that problem. I didn't even check on it until 0600. I checked again at 0900 because wife wanted me to go shopping and it was rock solid still at 225. Temp is still 171. Plateau. Of course told wife that I couldn't go shopping because I need to babysit egg. ;-)
    ·
  • Ditto to guru. I got a party q and it hols the temp all through the night. I put it on at 330am, it's at 151 right now.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    when i got my egg, they didn't have powered draft controllers.  in fact i got my egg because it didn't need tending.  now i find out it can;t be done easily unless i have a digi-guru-whatzit.  some day i'll get one i guess.  til then, i'll just continue to do it the easy old successful way that never needed fussing anyway
    :)>-
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,439
    +1 with stike-I like to feel like I'm influencing the outcome (good or bad) and it is certainly fairly easy to control the temperature on the BGE.  And yes I do the over-night 20+ hour pork butt cooks. To each his own-
    Louisville
    ·
  • +1 with stike-I like to feel like I'm influencing the outcome (good or bad) and it is certainly fairly easy to control the temperature on the BGE.  And yes I do the over-night 20+ hour pork butt cooks. To each his own-
    same. I wouldn't know how to act if I had one of those fancy things. I agree they are cool and have no problem with people using them. I just don't see how I would use it very often. Now, when I first started, I had fires go out or skyrocket all the time. Still glad I never got one because I was forced to figure out how to build rock solid fires that don't go out and don't wander when i'm passed out....er. I mean sleeping.

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,439
    @Cen-Tex Smoker-yes those low&slows can lead to spontaneous bouts of self (beer) induced naps or whatever the appropriate term might be. And all for a worthy cause:)
    Louisville
    ·
  • @Cen-Tex Smoker-yes those low&slows can lead to spontaneous bouts of self (beer) induced naps or whatever the appropriate term might be. And all for a worthy cause:)
    Thanks for reminding me.....it's about that time

·
  • Okay, 22 hours lo and slo. Pulled at 194. it is so tender that I had to roll it off into the tin foil. I had to, uh, quality check it of course to make sure that it had not gone bad from being cooked so slow. It was so tender that it was hard to choose sample site. The only problem is a test sample was hard to find so it sufffered a 0.5 lb weight loss. It is wrapped in foil and cotton towels and sitting in cooler. Family needs to be here by 1700 or they are going to be fighting for scraps! 
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    I usually blame that weight loss on the foil. ;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • Although I can appreciate a man who wants to be in control of the meat and all that goes into it.. I'm just not that guy. I take pride in my cook outs... But I almost prefer the ability to set the grill like an oven and forget about it. I think it's my personality :-P
    ·
  • eggoeggo Posts: 435
    Although I can appreciate a man who wants to be in control of the meat and all that goes into it.. I'm just not that guy. I take pride in my cook outs... But I almost prefer the ability to set the grill like an oven and forget about it. I think it's my personality 
    Sounds like something Ron Popiel sells on TV. Showtime rotissiere BBQ
    Eggo in N. MS
    ·
  • Hahaha I know right?
    ·