Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What is your favorite thing you've cooked on your Egg?

FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm not talking what is your favorite cut of meat, or meal to cook on the grill, I'm saying which single item( or single meal) was the best cook you ever did on your Egg?

I've had my Egg less than a year, but I've made so many things on it I have a hard time remembering them all.  However, I'd have to say that when I smoked my last brisket, then chopped up the point for burnt ends, they were the most enjoyable thing I've cooked on the egg.  I've done steaks, briskets, chicken, turkey, veggies, fish, tri tip, chuck, ribs, etc, but those burnt ends just ended up being unbelievably good.  Worlds better than other burnt ends I've Egged.  Not sure if it was that particular piece of meat, my seasonings, or what, but that time they were amazing. Interestingly, the flat of that cook wasn't all that great. I much prefer a Ribeye to burnt ends, but man...something about that batch made them a cut above anything else I've cooked on the Egg.

So my question to you, if you can remember or narrow it down to just one: if you had to think back at everything you've cooked, and choose only one to say was your greatest, what would it be? 

Frank
·

Comments

• smoloneysmoloney Posts: 30
    its all good but would have to say Turkey, brined it over night, spatched it and used hickory chunks when i smoked it.
    ·
  • AD18AD18 Posts: 146
    Another vote for Turkey.  Although I'm impressed with everything that comes off the Egg.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    Not sure yet. Still finding my way through lots of food.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • unit26unit26 Posts: 45
    A low and slow shoulder clod has been my favorite as of yet, although chicken cooked on a vertical holder is hard to beat.
    ·
  • MillsyMillsy Posts: 104
    My new favorite is wings.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,847
    Turbo pulled pork. I discovered pulled pork late in life a couple of years ago at Spring Chickens house for the first time. Raised on brisket I had no idea how good and EASY to make.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Smoker_GuruSmoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Low and slow Pulled Pork and Spatchcock Chicken are my favorites.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,793
    Love to wrestle with brisket flats in part because the window for true success is so narrow-best I can recall was May of 2011-and yes I cook one about every 4-5 weeks so it has been a while since I hit that homerun.  All good but that was the best.
    Louisville
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
    edited April 2012
    Maybe crab cakes with chipotle chiles and corn, or perhaps snapper ponchartrain, but then I really liked Jalapeño Shrimp Rumaki with Szechuan sauce, oh wait, the Scaloppine al Marsala was to die for ..... and then there was .......

I guess my point is that I don't have one special cook.  I have had more than my share of disasters, but also, I've cooked many things better than any restaurant I've eaten at.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

·
  • sticking with your original request of one single item I did a pulled pork once that was so moist and so tasty that everyone just sat there eating and couldn't say a word. Everyone just looked at each other. We knew it was special, Have not been able to reproduce it since.
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    Not sure yet. Still finding my way through lots of food.
    +1
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,952
    Smoked duck breast with juniper berries

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,156
    Impossible to answer.  I love pizza, and stuffed peppers are certainly one of the best.  While not necessarily my favorite, I cooked 8 ribeyes for the new (daughter's) in-laws, and I believe they were the most tender and flavorful steaks I've ever done.
    Finish.jpg 1.7M
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Whole 14 lb turkey, 15 lb brisket, and 14 lb pork butt have been my big winners.  Never had a bad cook in 3 years, but I am a fussbudget when it comes to being consistent.  Do not ever try to hurry a cook, you will forget something and that $40 brisket will be a mess.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Some of my cooks.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • I would have to say the Boston Butt and Spatchcock Chicken.
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,308
    edited April 2012
    Pulled pork or maybe ribs.  I didn't do pulled pork before I had the Egg.  Ribs come out really good, to the point that sauce isn't always needed.  Chicken/steaks/burgers aren't that much different then what I achieved with my Weber kettle.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·