Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic feet and green rain cap being "phased out."

Options
hogsfan
hogsfan Posts: 128
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about purchasing a new medium to replace the craigslist medium I have. I was told by a local dealer than I could not get either the rain cap or the ceramic feet with the purchase of a new medium big green egg because egg is "phasing them out."  I know a lot of people don't use either but I use these items all the time and I need the feet for my table. Instead she suggested I buy the table nest which is not a route I want to go because my egg is already pretty high.  This must be a recent change if it is indeed a change. 
Is this true? 

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I had heard rumors about the feet, not the cap. The cap is a must in my book.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I had heard rumors about the feet, not the cap. The cap is a must in my book.

Same here...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Unless they are gonna go stainless with the daisy, they need to keep the cap. Daisy goes in the thing, cap on top

Unless rusted daisy wheels are part of their new image concept
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Huh.  My Large came without a cap, I'd always used the Daisy wheel, never a rust problem.  However, the only time my Egg is in the rain is if I'm cooking.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• howmeisterg
    howmeisterg Posts: 143
    Options
    What about putting out the fire at the end of the cook. I didn't think that the daisy wheel sealed out enough air to put out the fire. I'll have to try that.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    What about putting out the fire at the end of the cook. I didn't think that the daisy wheel sealed out enough air to put out the fire. I'll have to try that.
    The DW will seal up the Egg plenty to extinguish the fire.  Done it that way many times.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Let me ask you this though: when you put your daisy on, and shut the dome, does your egg desperately try to suck in air to the point where it squeaks/hisses?

My egg with the cap on it is crazy air tight
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Let me ask you this though: when you put your daisy on, and shut the dome, does your egg desperately try to suck in air to the point where it squeaks/hisses? My egg with the cap on it is crazy air tight
    Mine too. That's the way I thought I blew myself up. I choked down a hot fire with the cap and went and served dinner. Somebody wanted their steak "well done" so I had to run back out and throw it back on. I just got the egg and didn't even think about it. I threw the dome open and it blew the cap off and shot a fireball about 5 feet out the front. Mrs. Well done never knew her steak hit the ground :). It made one hell of a noise too.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    The rain cap is a necessity in my opinion.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    If you're not using the ceramic cap, you're wasting lump. I wouldn't be without one.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    I put gasket on the top surface and when I put on rain cap and close lower vent fire is out faster
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Let me ask you this though: when you put your daisy on, and shut the dome, does your egg desperately try to suck in air to the point where it squeaks/hisses?

Not that I've noticed; I do close off the bottom vent too, though.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54
    Options
    I just purchased my egg 10 days ago, I got the feet and the cap in the box!  Look for older stock at a store..
    Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    3 quarters between egg an stone work just as well, i use the feeet to level my outside coffee table
    :))its never seen cofee. havent used a rain cap in years but dont see why they would take that away
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I just got a new Large a few weeks ago, and I got the cap, but no ceramic feet. The guy at the store gave me a few feet he had in the back for free, though. I needed a foot to mount below my beer bottle opener on my table, I liquid nailed a few magnets on it, and now I will never have to bend down to pick a bottle cap off the ground again. :-)
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I just got a new Large a few weeks ago, and I got the cap, but no ceramic feet. The guy at the store gave me a few feet he had in the back for free, though. I needed a foot to mount below my beer bottle opener on my table, I liquid nailed a few magnets on it, and now I will never have to bend down to pick a bottle cap off the ground again. :-)
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Options
    Got my large about 3 weeks ago got both in the box
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    About a month ago, yes got both in the box.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Ragtop99
    Options

I've never heard any noises whether I use the rain cap or the DW to shut down the Egg. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I don't see how they would phase out the rain cap. I have never tried extinguishing the fire with just the daisy wheel, but I would have to think it would not be as efficient. Not saying it wouldn't work, but I would be shocked if it were as efficient. This ability to extinguish the lump and conserve it is a huge selling point for BGE. Changing that makes no sense.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ragtop99
    Options
    I have never tried extinguishing the fire with just the daisy wheel, but I would have to think it would not be as efficient. Not saying it wouldn't work, but I would be shocked if it were as efficient.
    Try this the next time you finish cooking. Completely close the bottom vent and take off the DW so there is no top.  How big a fire do you expect to see two minutes after the bottom vent is closed?  Now add a new, closed DW and its not hard to see that the fire isn't going to get much airflow.  If the DW is used, it will seal even more.  The difference in extinguishment times between the DW and the rain cap isn't going to be more than a couple minutes, if that.  Given a load of lump can last 12 hrs+, even a two minute difference isn't going to be that much more coal burned; especially since those last 2 minutes are not at a high rate of combustion. Bottom line is that the rain cap may be a little more efficient, but using the DW isn't going to the let the fire burn through all your lump.
  • hartofatiger
    Options
    I always choked the fire out with the daisy wheel, but it kept getting "gunked-up";  After reading comments on earlier posts, I learned to put the DW on the grate and choke it out with the rain cap;  Much more efficient and it cleans my DW.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    I picked up my large 3-4 weeks ago and got both.  They seem to have changed up some of the hardware.  Did the people with no feet have black bolts for the hinge mechanism?  My shelves got back ordered and the regional Egg rep was at the store and gave me the hardware kit for the egg mates to allow me to get the bolts in and not have to disassemble.  When my egg mates came the were with wide boards and all black hardware.  Also just curious if they changed the handle because I have seen large eggs with the XL handles on.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    By the way I would say Rain cap is a must.  My DW is a month old and already has a few rust spots on.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    Bought my second large about a month and a half ago. Came with feet and ceramic top. Shelves were wide board, black hardware, wheel locks, standard handle.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I've just been told directly from someone at BGE that the rain cap is not being discontinued.  Just the feet are. (I asked, because I had to file a warranty claim for my rain cap).  

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Bought my second large about a month and a half ago. Came with feet and ceramic top. Shelves were wide board, black hardware, wheel locks, standard handle.

Same here, except was my 1st large :-)
    Boom
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    after a long cook the daisy wheel is basically sealed to my egg, if I close it up, it seals tighter than the ceramic cap. But the egg looks a whole lot better with the ceramic cap on. They better not phase it out!
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    Options
    I got my large in Jan., it had a cap but no ceramic feet.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    I got my large in Jan., it had a cap but no ceramic feet.
    Did your vendor assemble it for you-if so, go back and ask for the feet.  Even if you use a nest they are handy for raising a drip pan and you paid for them regardless of who assembled the kit.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.