Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the average age of eggheads here?

Comments

• Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76

36... But have been a wanna be egg head for over 7 years.

Owned an egg for just over 1 month (40 lbs of coal already gone!).

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Recently turned 26. Cooked on a buddies egg last summer, bought my first egg a large about 6 weeks ago.
    Boom
  • gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77
    Ok, so the owner of this thread must now add up everyone's age and divide by the number of responses to finally get to the average age!
  • agreed. Lots of young'uns in their 20's on here. Love it. The egg is in good hands

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    45 and midlife crisising 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Ok, so the owner of this thread must now add up everyone's age and divide by the number of responses to finally get to the average age!

yea.... i was hoping one the reitred old farts would do that for me :)
  • FanOfFanboys

agreed. Lots of young'uns in their 20's on here. Love it. The egg is in good hands

I'm shocked by that too. Kinda thought I was special ha
    Boom
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

agreed. Lots of young'uns in their 20's on here. Love it. The egg is in good hands

I don't know why you would be shocked.  I am a great cook (hubris) and have been for 40 years.  Why would I be surprised that someone 40 years my junior is not also a great cook.  Actually what puzzles me is when I cross paths with someone (usually a guy) who can't even fry an egg or boil a hot dog.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54
    Age is only a number, 62 here and I refuse to grow up!  Just starting again with egg fun..  :-)
    Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Welcome back VA in now Mi.
    @doc, I totally agree with you. Even sadder when it is a woman.
    Had a girlfriend once, who had to call her parents to figure out how to get the leaves off the lettuce head.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Let's just say the year I was born, Japan invaded China, Amelia Earhart disappeared on her flight around the World, and the Hindenburg crashed in a ball of fire just a few miles from my birthplace.  Older than dirt does apply to me.

Hahahaha.  With our educational system, some of the young'uns won't be able to figure it out.  I was born between Pearl Harbor and Operation Overlord, 4 months after Isoroku Yamamato got shot down.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2012
    Let's just say the year I was born, Japan invaded China, Amelia Earhart disappeared on her flight around the World, and the Hindenburg crashed in a ball of fire just a few miles from my birthplace.  Older than dirt does apply to me.

Hahahaha.  With our educational system, some of the young'uns won't be able to figure it out.  I was born between Pearl Harbor and Operation Overlord, 4 months after Isoroku Yamamato got shot down.
    OK, you guys are either making me feel old, or well read. 
    :)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Village Idiot

Hopefully, the latter, Taz.  My college graduate niece had never heard of WWII before her granddad told her about his experiences on Guam.  I think her response was "whatever".

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• FanOfFanboys

I don't know why you would be shocked.  I am a great cook (hubris) and have been for 40 years.  Why would I be surprised that someone 40 years my junior is not also a great cook.  Actually what puzzles me is when I cross paths with someone (usually a guy) who can't even fry an egg or boil a hot dog.

I'm shocked so many people in early and mid 20s can 1) afford $1,000 grill 2) realize the quality investment instead of buying something more "trendy" 3) how many have even heard of one at that age.

It's meant as a compliment but usually a higher end quality investment like this would be associated with someone older. BGE not a traditional bachelor pad type accessory.
    Boom
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

I am not sure if it is an affordibility issue with us young folks as much as it is a "want" .. i am now in my mid 30's and i could of bought an egg or two 10 years ago..  but i had no "want" to have one.. wasnt until i spent years cooking on a gasser, etc that i saw the benefit of an egg

unless youre out there truly searching for alternatives to a gas grill and wanting something different - i just dont think it appeals to someone whether they are 24 or 54.

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    62 end of April and have only had my egg for 8 months ... waited too many years to get one ....
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I couldn't afford squat in my early 20's. I was eating ramen with tuna in a barraks room with no A/c. I could barely buy booze, smokes and boot polish on payday.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    I couldn't afford squat in my early 20's. I was eating ramen with tuna in a barraks room with no A/c. I could barely buy booze, smokes and boot polish on payday.
    But Travis, what about those Le Cordon Bleu trained chefs in the Mess Hall?  I have heard their Boeuf Bourguignon was to die for and their omelette stations for breakfast were incredible.  Why would you even want a BGE ?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    On the weekend, the mess hall next to my barraks would close. The nearest open mess hall was about a mile. You would think that wasn't very far for a 21 year old infantryman, wouldn't you? Well, when its -40 degrees without windchill and there is 3 feet of snow on the ground, I ain't walking anywhere. And no, I didn't have a car, this was before all the deployments so pvts didn't have any money. I think my first paycheck was $350 for two weeks.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
     I think my first paycheck was $350 for two weeks.
    hahaha.  My first paycheck was $75 for a month.  However, I am a tad older than  you.  I remember that first paycheck.  After saluting and screaming "PVT WILLSON REPORTS FOR PAY, SIR !!!!", then captain had me (and everyone else) sign a sheet of paper before he handed me my pay.  After everyone had been paid, he said "Congratulations, you all just signed a paper reenlisting in the Army for another 6 years."  Of course, they didn't hold us to it, but I've read every paper I've signed since then.  It was a good lesson.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Let's just say the year I was born, Japan invaded China, Amelia Earhart disappeared on her flight around the World, and the Hindenburg crashed in a ball of fire just a few miles from my birthplace.  Older than dirt does apply to me.

:)

VI, Wife and I had a sign hanging up in my Dry Cleaners that said "Even Crusoe couldn't get all his work done by Friday"  Fully 50% of my customers couldn't explain what the sign meant.  We have become an "unread" Nation.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I'm shocked so many people in early and mid 20s can 1) afford $1,000 grill 2) realize the quality investment instead of buying something more "trendy" 3) how many have even heard of one at that age.

It's meant as a compliment but usually a higher end quality investment like this would be associated with someone older. BGE not a traditional bachelor pad type accessory.
    I wasn't aware of the Egg until maybe 5 years ago.  When I first saw it, I had no clue about its capability or why it was special. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    I love my egg.
  • VA in GA
    Welcome back VA in now Mi.
    @doc, I totally agree with you. Even sadder when it is a woman.
    Had a girlfriend once, who had to call her parents to figure out how to get the leaves off the lettuce head.

Taz,   I'd be a little concern about that old girlfriend using your egg then!  I see a flashback.. :-)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    "between pearl harbor and operation overlord" is a bit of a span of time.  thank you for the more specific follow up details
    :)>-

at work once, i asked this question of a young woman who thought it was funny that she didn't know anything: "put these wars in chronological order: the revolutionary war, the civil war, world war I, and world war II".

she could not do it.

on the military channel, one of the vets was saying that he speaks at a lot of high schools, and was once introduced BY A TEACHER as being a "veteran of world war eleven"

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • VA in GA
    Now I know why most of you eggheads don't have a problem with moving around your eggs with or without handlers, your mostly spring eggheads here!   Glad to see so many grilling.  :-)