Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Royal Oak stealth price increase

edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
An evil day...

I stopped by my local Wal-Mart to see if they had restocked their Royal Oak Lump after the winter absence.
Last year they raised the price from $6.37 to $6.47, (not a big deal at 2%)

The price was the same as last year at $6.47, but the familiar red bag had a slight difference at the bottom.
Instead of "10 lbs." all of the bags read "8.8 lbs.".

It works out to $.74/lb instead of $.65/lb., or a 14% price increase.

I guess they worked out the marketing plan, but I would rather have seen them go ahead with a price increase and stick with a 10 lb. bag than try slip it in under a cave-in to the metric system. (4 Kg. bag)

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,565
    Still a lot cheaper than the $1.29 a pound I was paying for BGE, and I have been very happy with the quality.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,882
    I noticed that too. I went couple weeks ago and they had like 2 10lb bags left. Rest were 8.8. All same price.
  • OMG EggsOMG Eggs Posts: 118
    edited April 2012

Well... we could get some of the stuff below, roughly $.0013/lb,  The min buy is only 20 metric tons... so, 44k lbs, group buy anyone? :P

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,577
    I think they have standardized to metric bags. That is 8 kilos. I imagine there would be a bit off work involved to tool up for US weight bags. They should have adjusted the price all the same

Caledon, ON

• depending on where you live you can get this at sams for $.38 per lb ($14.98 for 40 lb). It's great stuff. Costco has a similar one for $16 for 35lb. I've used both and both are good.

• paulheelspaulheels Posts: 457
    Western lump from Publix! Go there. I write it.
  • Northern1Northern1 Posts: 19
    New price roll back. $6.47 for 10 lbs in Edmonton Alberta.Must be old stock , blue bags.Still cheapest lump in Canada.
  • MO_EgginMO_Eggin Posts: 134
    We've been getting the 8.8lbs bags of RO for about a year in the St. Louis area.
    LBGE, St. Louis, MO
  • Northern1Northern1 Posts: 19
    Just went to Walmart today. New stealth price increase to $8.47 for the 4.54 kg(10 lbs) blue bag.Edmonton Alberta Canada
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    I am fortunate enough to have a connection to the Restaurant Depot.  They sell 20 lb bags of Royal Oak for $7.88.  Now that is a deal.  The chain store hose you on the price.  Wally World buys that stuff by the train load.  How much do you think they pay for it?  Maybe $1.50.  BTW since grilling has become so big demand is up.  The quality of most lump is waning at best.  My last few bags looked like it had chopped up furniture pieces in it.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!