Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sublime Salmon

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, All:[p]Okay, that was a trick. Eggwise, I do not have a formula for sublime salmon. It is, however, with enthusiasm and humility that I seek advice. Here's what worked for me in college: 225 degrees indirect in a Brinkmann barrel smoker with alder chips and a soy/molasses marinade/glaze. The challenge is that it looks like with the Egg I am going to have to go direct (no plate setter), although I am happily maintaining 225. I'd like a good long smoke of 30-45 minutes. Any suggestions?[p]Many thanks in advance.[p]Jim

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Howdy Jim,[p]It sounds to me like you are on track already, but if you really wanted to go indirect, you could always improvise with some foil on the grid and the salmon on a cake rack or something. [p]You don't really need an inch of ceramic to be indirect, just any barrier to keep the direct heat and infrared off the food.[p]Now that inch of ceramic mass is wonderful to help maintain the temps on a long pork or beef cook, but I would guess that you can get away with not having it for fish.[p]I too like a slower, smoke-cooked salmon. It's not quite grilled, not quite smoked, but juicy *and* smoky. Mmmmmm....[p]Direct or indirect, it sounds like you have an excelelent salmon meal in your future.[p]bc[p]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Jim, I brine mine, rinse & season with Dizzy Pig Raging River, and air dry in the refrigerator. I use apple wood & glaze with grade B maple syrup. JCA

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    bc, well said.