Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter

Options
OB1
OB1 Posts: 7
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Need help figuring out if you use the plate setter legs up
to cook pizza or legs down. I followed the directions that came with the plate
setter to turn my egg into a brick oven but I burned out my gasket on the back
side of my egg. My temp was 500!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I do legs up with a stone on the grate for pizza. I have done them legs down with a stone on the platesetter but I changed recently to try to save my gasket a little.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Any time I use the platesetter I place a leg in the very center back of the egg. This is the hottest part and the leg blocks some of the heat therefore saving the gasket a bit.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Any time I use the platesetter I place a leg in the very center back of the egg. This is the hottest part and the leg blocks some of the heat therefore saving the gasket a bit.

same. Just cuz I was told to.

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Legs up, grate, stone.

Grilled Pizza
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legs up, grate, stone.

Grilled Pizza
    same
  • Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76
    Options

I know I am going to take some Heat for this (pun intended) but on page 17 of the BGE manaul says to use the plate setter legs down pizza stone on top of that for pizza.

Why would they not cover the warrenty on the gasket if they are advising this is the proper way to use it?

I have done multiple pizza cooks this way and my gasket is still fine.

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    Why is this the hottest part of the fire?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's across from where the air comes in, and the air doesn't take a hard 90 and turn straight upward.  ...kinda flows against the back and comes up along the ceramic
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    I just got the plate setter as a gift, used it for an indirect cook, but I'm going to try a legs down pizza night, use the egg feet to space my stone off the platesetter. I've upgraded the gasket to the BGE nomex one. I just want to fix the underbite on my egg first.