Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ground Beef Mix for burgers

Options
MikeP624
MikeP624 Posts: 292
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I am looking to have my own blend of ground beef made for some burgers.  I know you want an 80/20 meat to fat content.  But does anyone have a recommendation for which cuts of meat to blend?  Looking for the perfect texture.

I need them to be all beef (no pork).  Thanks.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Chuck is usually 80/20 and the most common muscle used for burgers. Brisket, short rib, and other cuts make good burgers too. I find CAB chuck roasts at my store and have them ground.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited April 2012
    Options
    you want the working muscles from the cow,  more work, more flavor.  most use chuck cuts.  brisket makes good burgers.  you'll see the hi end restaurants throw in the steak cuts as a percentage, maybe more for menu appeal than meat flavor......

if you grind your own, cold (not frozen) meat grinds easier.  
    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Here, read this: 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1134763/burger-grinding-egg-speriment-results#Item_9

Obviously, since taste is subjective, you may or may not agree w/ my results. 

But, it can at least give you some perspective & hopefully ignite some ideas!!

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • MikeP624
    Options
    Here, read this: 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1134763/burger-grinding-egg-speriment-results#Item_9

HTH,
    Rob

Thanks.  That is what i am looking for.  I think i am going to have my butcher make me a blend of 33% Chuck, Brisket and Short Rib.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I ground some beef last week for burgers. A 3 to 1 chuck to short rib. Turnd out pretty good. Still need to try brisket, though.

Home Ground Burgers

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Here, read this: 

HTH,
    Rob
    Outstanding experiment! I can't wait for my kitchenaid attachments to get here so I can make my own blends. A couple of questions if you don't mind. Regarding sirloin, is that a top sirloin? Does it matter? For the short ribs, do you just cut the meat off the bone? Do you trim the fat or leave some of it?

Thanks.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    For the short ribs, I cut it off the bone but did not trim any fat off of 'em.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    For the short ribs, I cut it off the bone but did not trim any fat off of 'em.
    Thanks! 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Eggbertsdad - It's been awhile since I did that "EGG-speriment" but I believe it was just a regular sirloin.  The reason I'm thinking it was just a regular, is that my GF is pretty "frugal" when it comes to spending $$, so unless there was a specific reason to get a top sirloin, or unless it was on sale, we would NOT have specifically sought it out.  =;

In fact, I've been trying to get her talked into agreeing to spend $30/lb for hormone-free, anti-biotic-free, free-range, grass-fed, 40-day dry aged beef for WEEKS but she'll have none of it - in fact, she said she wanted me to experiment w/ a prime rib roast that was on sale @ Costco for like $4.99/lb first.  So, when she ate it, she thought it was amazingly delicious, and couldn't imagine a place selling meat for 6 times that price having the meat taste 6 times better.  So actually, I think doing the cheap "practice" one actually set my progress back!!
    :((

But alas, I'm on a tangent...

Anyway, as far as the short rib question - yes, like Griffin said, I believe we cut it but didn't trim (or at least did minimal trimming - any miscellaneous outlying fat, etc). 

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
     :) ^^^^^^  :))

That sounds like my wife. If it tastes this good at only $5 per pound how much better could the "good stuff" taste. 
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    I love brisket and short rib burgers. Sucks you can't have any pork in there, I get my meat custom ground at my local butcher and we always throw a couple spicy sausages in the ground beef mix

• MikeP624
    Options
    I love brisket and short rib burgers. Sucks you can't have any pork in there, I get my meat custom ground at my local butcher and we always throw a couple spicy sausages in the ground beef mix

I have done the pork sausage addition in the past and its good.  But this time i am just going for pure beef.

I have thought about adding pork belly, instead of sausage, but have not tried that yet.

• xraypat23
    Options
    Ive done bork belly before, used the leaner cuts of meat and some cubed up pork belly....thick grind on my kitchen aid and only ran it thru once, some of the best burgers I've ever had.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    @xraypat23
    I have the kitchen attachment and have yet to use it. Didn't get a deer this year but gonna try it soon.

Just curious you work in X-ray? Im a IR nurse

XLBGE 
  • xraypat23
    Options
    Interventional Radiology? very cool. Yea, I've been a tech for 8 years, run an orthopedic practice in new york. Great, easy job.
  • xraypat23
    Options
    BTW, I've only used my KA a few times, it works best if the meat is VERY cold, almost freezing. Don't wait for a deer, go pick up some on sale beef and grind something up!