Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump @ Sams Club cheap!!

NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I was at Sams yesterday and found some "Best of the West" mesquite lump charcoal. It's a 20lb bag of lump for $8.89. Frickin nuts. For that price I couldn't turn it down. If it works out well I will go back and buy several more bags!! I thought I saw someone else post this awhile back and I am just confirming it. Bought mine in Omaha Ne. Great deal for a 20lb bag!!
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• It's all I use and it's great. We have 40lb bags for $14.99. You'll love it but some of the prices are huge (which I like) so you may have to break them up from time to time. You can do it with a hammer when needed.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Is mesquite lump as strong as mesquite chunks?  Personally, I think mesquite has a great flavor but for cooking poultry & fish it can be somewhat overpowering.  I've seen the mesquite lump before but figured that it would flavor the food like the chunks do and not bought it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    It's all I've been using since I used up my initial bag of BG lump in October. It has been fine for me, as stated before, lots of large pieces. Since I haven't used anything else I don't know if its better or worse than any of the others but I can't complain for the price!
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Is mesquite lump as strong as mesquite chunks?  Personally, I think mesquite has a great flavor but for cooking poultry & fish it can be somewhat overpowering.  I've seen the mesquite lump before but figured that it would flavor the food like the chunks do and not bought it.
    no. It's very similar to any other lump
  • It's all I've been using since I used up my initial bag of BG lump in October. It has been fine for me, as stated before, lots of large pieces. Since I haven't used anything else I don't know if its better or worse than any of the others but I can't complain for the price!
    I've used them all and I like at good as any of the others. Considering many of those are $20 for 20lb I like it a lot better!

• NightwingXP
    Sweet going back for more at my first chance then. How can you argue for less than $9 for a 20lb bag of lump!
  • Sweet going back for more at my first chance then. How can you argue for less than $9 for a 20lb bag of lump!
    i buy it 200 lbs at a time (5-40lb bags). Love it.

• NightwingXP
    LOLOL Awesome! I am going back this afternoon and getting at least 2 more

• bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    I have used it before.  Do you not have any issues with the ash production?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • I have used it before.  Do you not have any issues with the ash production?
    nope. haven't noticed it being any different than any of the others

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I found this at my local Sam's Club for $14.98 for a bag of 40lbs.  This was in Vacaville, CA and I will check Concord, CA Sam's club.  Giving it a shot, can't beat the price. 
  • I found this at my local Sam's Club for $14.98 for a bag of 40lbs.  This was in Vacaville, CA and I will check Concord, CA Sam's club.  Giving it a shot, can't beat the price. 
    That's all I use and it's great. Get ready for some giant pieces though!

• BYS1981
    I would rather have giant pieces than too much small/dust. I can make giant small, but not vice versa. Once I am thru this bag of Royal Oak I will begin using this stuff. If I like it I will be buying 3-4 bags at once. Haha
  • I would rather have giant pieces than too much small/dust. I can make giant small, but not vice versa. Once I am thru this bag of Royal Oak I will begin using this stuff. If I like it I will be buying 3-4 bags at once. Haha
    you'll like it. I've been burning it for a year or so. It performs great
  • I work with Work World stores who's corporate offices are in Vacaville. I'm actually over there all the time.
  • BYS1981
    They have outlets I go to occassionally in Vacaville, Sam's right by them.. had to stop hahaha. 25 miles away tho. Hoping the closer Sam's has this lump.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    I am in the minority in tx, not a fan of mesquite.
    Cookin in Texas
  • I am in the minority in tx, not a fan of mesquite.
    It does not taste any different. I rarely use mesquite chunks but I would bet you a cold one that you cant tell the taste difference between this lump and any other. 
  • and the costco version is "hardwood" not mesquite if that makes you feel better. I've used both and they are both great

• NightwingXP
    I may fire up and do a meatloaf tomorrow night and test it just cause I'm curious
    :D
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I can't tell any difference in taste using Royal Oak or Best of the West mesquite.
    From now on, it's best of the west for me.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    I am in the minority in tx, not a fan of mesquite.
    It does not taste any different. I rarely use mesquite chunks but I would bet you a cold one that you cant tell the taste difference between this lump and any other. 

The mesquite was to strong for my tatse also. So I would just put a few peices in with the RO.
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • Went by the Douglasville, GA Sams and they only sold Kingford. :'-(
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    I bought a bag of the Best of the West mesquite charcoal at my local Sam's. It's from Mexico, but I will reserve judgement when I use it.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • It is from Ol Mexico. I'm pretty sure they are capable of making charcoal down there :). I've never found as much as a pebble in there so far (not that that really matters).
  • And lord knows they have plenty of mesquite to work with.
  • BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52
    Got 4 - 20lbs bags today for $37.65 after tax in Pensacola, FL.  That is a whopping $0.47 a pound.  Thanks for the heads up.  I did notice this morning that my Gulf Breeze, FL Ace hardware had a couple of bags of wicked good 20lbs for 19.99.  I might get those just to try since I have read so many good things.
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71

Big Steve

Where in Pcola?I want some of that.

Who cares I'll post where I want
  • NightwingXP
    I wasn't able to make it back yet. DOH!! I will be as soon as possible though! Anxious to try it out !! Glad I was able to save someone some cash! I gotta go get some more soon before the word gets out too far and they are sold out!!
  • BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52
    @gee Sam's club on Airport Blvd.