Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Jet Engine Flames"

Options
MikeP624
MikeP624 Posts: 292
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I am new to the BGE.  I was reading and commenting on another post and this topic came up.  Some post stated that they had flames coming out of the top of there egg at extreme high tempatures.

I was wondering what they were cooking at the time?  It seems if there are flames coming out the top of your egg that everything inside would be getting burnt.

Are these high temps and resulting flames only for cleaning out the inside of the egg?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We were just talking about this on another thread. The flames that blow out the top are usually gas. It forms in the dome and combusts. It does not touch your food. When you get it blast furnace hot, (carefully) look in the top vent some time. It's really cool looking. Little balls of gas dancing around in there. They roll up the sides and out the top vent. it has no affect on grill service temps.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If food is being seared, a blue jet is fine, if scary. The food will only be exposed for a few minutes.

If one was just heating up the Egg for a lo-n-slo cook, and found a blue jet, it just means it'll be an hour or two before the Egg is cool enough for cooking.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    We were just talking about this on another thread. The flames that blow out the top are usually gas. It forms in the dome and combusts. It does not touch your food. When you get it blast furnace hot, (carefully) look in the top vent some time. It's really cool looking. Little balls of gas dancing around in there. They roll up the sides and out the top vent. it has no affect on grill service temps.

Thanks Cen-Tex.  Do you know roughly how hot the fire needs to be for this to happen?  1000+ degrees?
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    I've had this at roughly 600 dome with a load of fresh lump.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    I had the "jet engine flames" out the top of the BGE cooking pizza.  I thought they were actually the flames rolling around my plate setter and up the sides.  I didn't realize it was gas combusting.  I think I had it running round 600F or so, maybe hotter.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I dont know exactly butnive seen them at 600-700. I'm sure one of the engineer types on here can explain it better than I can
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tgkleman- I assume you were doing pizza at that temp with a player setter. That's when I see it most of the time too. I've had it roll out the dome (flashback) too. That stuff is slippery! It's like flaming mercury when it gets going.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have had it coming out of the top and the bottom vent a foot. For me it was when I had fresh lump and a lot caught fire. The dome got too hot and I tried to choke the fire down to cooking temps. Hot fire that is all of the sudden deprived of oxygen has to find oxygen. This means it goes to where the oxygen is which In this case is out the top of the dome or bottom vent.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Same here. Makes that hissing noise too. Kind of makes you want to slowly back away while maintaining eye contact.