Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rolled up chicken thighs & grilled romaine tonight

Options
Eggbertsdad
Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Whoever gave the rolled up chicken thigh recipe (maybe VI?), thank you!

I took boneless, skinless thighs and laid prosciutto over them. Then added a little feta and sun-dried tomato and rolled them up. Added a little Dizzy Dust and put them on raised direct at 350. 

Near the end I grilled some romaine to make a salad...the dressing I used is from a great restaurant in St. Armand's Circle in Sarasota, Columbia Restaurant. It's Spanish olive oil, garlic, oregano, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. 
Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)

Comments

• hartofatiger
    Options
    Chicken looks Great! I will give it a try.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    @hartofatiger, like I said, someone posted a recipe of those on here...not that exact combo but you can use just about anything you want. I just happened to have those things in the fridge and they sounded good to me. It worked out alright.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Do you pound the chicken thin so it rolls? The Publix by my house has been stocking chicken breast sliced really thin. Perhaps those would work. Once cooked they are like 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Do you pound the chicken thin so it rolls? The Publix by my house has been stocking chicken breast sliced really thin. Perhaps those would work. Once cooked they are like 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
    Yes, I did. Not a ton, though. Just enough to make it uniform thickness so it would roll up and cooked seam side down. I didn't toothpick or tie them. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    I stand corrected, It was Cen-Tex! Thanks again for the idea. They were a hit.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    YUM!  This is on the list to try! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They are tasty and super easy. Check out the "fun with meat glue" thread for a fun twist on bacon/procuitto wrapped meats. It's cool stuff.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    I just can't bring myself to embrace this "meat glue" concept, although I'm sure it is part of my daily life in some form or another. I just let the proteins from the chicken seal it together. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I did some the other night and wrapped some of them in bacon ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Meat glue is a strange concept but if you have ever eaten deli meat or sausage, or almost any other precessed food, you've had it plenty. There are no giant turkeys lurking around out there with perfect football shaped breasts :) Maybe it would sound better if you called transglutiminase? Rolls right off the tongue dosent it? It is really cool to use with wrapped foods. You can't tell where the bacon/procuitto stops and the chicken starts. Just throwing it out there. ......
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    I've always wondered about the deli meat...I just figured they compressed the hell out of it to get it in that shape. The meat glue makes sense. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Chicken nuggets, imitation crab......the list is long.