Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My BGE setup

ShadowNick
ShadowNick Posts: 533
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is how we do it in downtown Chicago in basement apartments
:)
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    At least you can use it.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

Be careful.  There is a chance you might be violating city code because you are below a wood deck and are using an "open flame" (charcoal) grill.

The city takes that stuff fairly seriously because of past porch collapses.

• ShadowNick
    edited April 2012
    I checked with my alderman office, as long as you are not sitting on a wood deck, you can use charcoal.  They don't take into account whats above.  Of course, i think about every 3rd wooden porch in my neighborhood with more than 3 square feet has a weber kettle anyway.
    Pentwater, MI
  • MikeP624

I have my egg sitting on a wood deck.  Never had any problems.  It is next to impossible for any hot coals, or flames to get out of the egg.  But we all know how the city loves to get money anyway they can.  I am assuming there is a big fine if catch you with a charcoal grill on a wood deck.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Not impossible by any stretch. I've had flames coming out the top of mine before.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2012
    I checked with my alderman office, as long as you are not sitting on a wood deck, you can use charcoal.  They don't take into account whats above. 
    Classic. 
    Your basement apartment is under a shell station is it? 

And I thought I was space deprived
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MikeP624
    Not impossible by any stretch. I've had flames coming out the top of mine before.

How did you get flames out the top?  Flashback? 

I have had mine up to 600 degrees and have never got any flames.  If you have flames coming out the top didn;t you burn your food?

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    OK, I will be the first, I have have the jet engine flames out of the top, and at least twice as hot as 600.  That said, I doubt it would affect a wood surface 8 feet or more above the dome.  Someone with other types of drop down ceilings beware.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I have my egg sitting on a wood deck.  Never had any problems.  It is next to impossible for any hot coals, or flames to get out of the egg.  But we all know how the city loves to get money anyway they can.  I am assuming there is a big fine if catch you with a charcoal grill on a wood deck.

Flames can and do shoot out the top and bottom vents at extreme temps.  Just be careful, man.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• MikeP624

OK, I will be the first, I have have the jet engine flames out of the top, and at least twice as hot as 600.  That said, I doubt it would affect a wood surface 8 feet or more above the dome.  Someone with other types of drop down ceilings beware.

Maybe i just have not got it hot enough yet.

But i am confused by flames coming out of the top. If it is so hot that there are jet engine flames coming out of the top how do you cook anything in there without it burning?  I am new to the BGE and have not done any cooking where i need temps over 600 degrees.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    flames shooting out with a pizza cooking in there, yes its possible, and yes its dangerous
    :D

i would be more concerned what the people up stairs think when you go and do a clean burn, not sure if this was a clean burn or a hot/fast brisket cook
    :))
    i think this one was brisket

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ShadowNick
    Flames on a Med do not get near as high.  It pushed less airflow through than a large.  Highest i've gotten my flame out the egg is about 8 -10 inches @ about 1200
    Pentwater, MI
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

Maybe i just have not got it hot enough yet.

But i am confused by flames coming out of the top. If it is so hot that there are jet engine flames coming out of the top how do you cook anything in there without it burning?  I am new to the BGE and have not done any cooking where i need temps over 600 degrees.

I wasn't cooking at those temps, I was heating for a hot cook, or I was doing a burn out, or I wasn't paying attention.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The flames out the top are usually actually gas. It rolls up the sides and out the top. When you get it real hot the gas forms in the dome and combusts. It does not burn your food but at the ttemp that this occurs, you are cooking very hot and food will burn quickly anyway. Good searing steaks though.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    where did your egg at nick?
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    @fishlessman, that pic is awesome!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ShadowNick
    @XLBalco Lincoln Park
    Pentwater, MI
  • MikeP624
    where did your egg at nick?
    I got mine from Back Yard Barbecue up in Wilmette,IL
  • ShadowNick
    Oh, I misunderstood, I actually got mine in Georgia, but Armitage Direct hardware @Armitage and Sheffield sells them, as does a place on Belmont (can't remember the name) on about the 1200 block. Place on Belmont also carries Dizzy Pig
    Pentwater, MI
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

I bought my set up at Armitage Direct - good folks there.. Kerry Wood frequents there from what i understand

@MikeP624- I was up working in WIlmette and stopped at Back Yard BBQ  and bought a bunch of DizzyPig there.. lots of accessories at that store

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    New digs for my Mini.  My large and medium are on my back porch/patio.  My mini has moved to the front patio, and I bought a $79 chest from H.E.B.  It was Hecho en Mexico.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious