Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Lump Thread...

Eggbertsdad
Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Being a fairly new Egger I'm still trying to figure out which lump to go with. I've read every review on the Naked Whiz's site but there are only so many options where I live in S. FL. I just bought a bag of Royal Oak (made in the USA) and I'm very impressed with the size of the pieces relative to the price ($9.99 for 17.6 lbs.). The other brands I've tried are:

Tru-Que- bought from the Home Depot. Mostly small pieces...Will not buy again.
Mali's Gourmet- OK...mostly medium and small pieces. Local Egg store carries it.
Humphrey's- Large pieces. Pretty good stuff, but for $38 for a 40lb bag that's a little steep.

My Super Walmart just started carrying RO but I found a grocery store that sells it cheaper. For $10 I'm very pleased. I now know why there's a lot of people on here that use it. 
Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    RO has worked very well for me, nice sized pieces and less trash than BGE at half the price.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggbertsdad
    Doc,

I think I'm sold. For the price you can't beat it. I don't quite have the space you obviously do from looking at your picture but the next time I'm in Western Beef I'm going to ask them if they carry it year 'round. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    :-)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggbertsdad
    Looks like you need to fire that egg up!
  • UPinSMOKE
    UPinSMOKE Posts: 53
    Eggbertsdad!

Man, finding good lump that YOU like can be a long journey. I used to use the BGE lump, but now it's over 25.00 a bag....just getting too expensive. I have used the Royal Oak lump before (if you can, make sure it's the Made in USA stuff). The South American RO sources used to get pretty spotty reviews but maybe that's changed? I do not know for sure. But alas, my local WalMart doesn't always carry the RO stuff...it's pretty hit and miss for the past year, mostly miss. ANd I haven't found another tore other than Wally WOrld that sells it. But read on.......

I have recently started using Wicked Good Charcoal, the Weekend Warrior stuff,  and I have been very happy with it. Decently sized, very little dust and what I call 'chaff'. It lights easily, burns HOT, it's easy to control the temps and it has no unusual odors whilst burning. 

Our local Ace Hardware has it on sale this weekend, so I am heading there Friday AM to pick up maybe 3-4 bags and that should last me quite a while (I use the BGE at least twice a week). 

Go here,  http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/  plug in your ZIP code and hopefully you will find some Wicked Good charcoal nearby you. Give it a try...I am confident you will like it.

Cheers!

Pat

PS--If you wind up not liking it, just box it up and send it to me..I'll use it for you! :D
  • Eggbertsdad
    Thanks UPinSMOKE. Unfortunately there isn't a Wicked Good retailer for 200 miles from here and ordering it online with the shipping is too steep. If I ever see it, I'm grabbing a few bags. I've never even noticed lump charcoal until last summer cooking on my Dad's egg. Now, every store I go into I look to see if they sell it and what brands.
  • Look for the food service stuff at sams Costco , and restaurant supplies. I buy 40 lb bags of 100% mesquite lump at sams for $14.99. Costco has a 35 lb bag of 100% hardwood for $16 and change. They are both great and cheap.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggbertsdad
    I checked BJ's (which is like Sam's or Costco) and they didn't have anything but the guy on the floor said it's hit or miss. 
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Used BGE at first but too expensive. Especially in Canada now @ 30 bucks. Geez thanks there boys! Switched to Maple Leaf and Basque's Nature's Own @ 19 bucks Cdn. Basque's now 12 bucks at some Costco's - gonna load up on that. Can only find RO in the blue bag around Toronto. Can Anyone tell me the difference between RO blue bag vs. red bag?

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Eggbertsdad, do you have an Ace Hardware near by? If so ask them to check the availability of Wicked Good, it is currently stocked in some of there warehouses, soon to be most. It is expected in WI near the end of the month. Also from Ace, check out Grillmark lump, it is also made by Royal Oak.
  • Where are you in WI? I used to buy WG from BBQ Pits and spits in Appleton.
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    I am in Janesville, south central near the IL border. I worked in Appleton for a few years when we lived in Oshkosh. That was before my bbq days though.
  • Oh yeah. Been to Janesville many times. I worked with Blaine's and Lab Safety for years. Lived in Middleton for 2 years and Appleton for 3. Good peeps up there (but the weather sucks). I'm glad the weather sucked because that is exactly why I bought my egg. So I could cook all year.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Where are you in WI? I used to buy WG from BBQ Pits and spits in Appleton.
    Small world.  I bought my EGG from BBQ Pits and Spits in Appleton.  I work in Appleton and live in Oshkosh.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Sweet. Chip is a great guy. I sold 3 more eggs for him to my neighbors before I moved back home. Still have a lot of good friends up there. Actuaull headed up for New Year's Eve for a wedding.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited May 2012
    Cen-Tex -- If you worked at Lab Safety, you may know my niece. Amy Richter (maiden name Goodman)? One of the nieces worked at Blaine's too.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe