Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

expected life of a BGE?

smoker13
smoker13 Posts: 5
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

About 5yrs ago I bought a BGE competitor; lets call it brand “X”.  At the time I considered several similar coookers-BGE included.  I spoke to several folks who knew far more than me and one outfit down south said "I have both, you buy a BGE if you want the community and you are going to travel with it, you buy “X”  if you aren't going to travel" -that really resonated with me-because there is no way I was going to start travelling with a smoker -although now I understand why some people do it.  Sooo I bought the GD, everything went great first yr-2.  Then it started cracking and getting surface fissures.  Now this may be my fault as I live in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Michigan and it is exposed to the snow etc.  I didn't ever think to cover it up.  Now it looks like each time I cook with it that it may be its last-base is starting to crumble, interior is shot.  I could probably stretch another season out of it but I'm not convinced.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Would a BGE in snowy Michigan have experienced a similar fate?  If you live in the North-do you cover/protect your BGE during the winter months?

thanks very much,

-paul

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited April 2012
    Well, let's start looking @ this from another perspective - first, what type of warranty does your Brand "X" cooker have? 

The reason I'm asking is - IF you'd have gotten an Egg, and IF the Egg would've started falling apart like what you've described, then you could get it replaced via warranty.  So the point is that, even IF the Egg would develop cracks, you'd be able to get a NEW one for FREE. 

Next, there are many ppl who have Eggs in nearly every State, as well as colder climates (Canada, etc), and many of those ppl cook on their Egg in the dead of winter w/ snow that is "A-hole deep to a 10-foot Indian" (don't mean to offend anyone by that non-PC saying, it's just that's the term my Dad used to use growing up when talking about something like snow being deep or tall). 

Anyway, the point is that many folks use their Egg in the snow, in the rain, in all sorts of inclement weather w/ no problems (I say that the Egg can take the weather better than you can)!! hehe

As far as how long it'll last - I'd say that a properly cared for Egg will last longer than you :P
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    i have 3 eggs, this one is my newest, about 7 years, it absorbed some water this winter and cracked from the freeze/ thaw. theres a bge replacement base on the way, its covered.  its covered for as long as i own it and as long as they are in business i figure

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    I live in Canada and have had no troubles with mine and i use it more in the winter than the summer.To be honest i think it works better in the winter for some reason.I do cover it as soon as I can after i use it.
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

You must live in the UP.We in Bay City didn't have a winter so to speak.

Of course I grill year round anyway.Needs to be below zero before I stop. If we go more then a week I start to get the DT'S.

Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    My first, a large, is still in great shape after 14 years in the Canadian sun. I still have the cover I bought for it in the original packaging in the garage

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    I assume GD means Grill Dome and Grill Dome = Brand X.  I looked into them when I got my egg, I thought they had pretty good customer service & warranty.  Maybe not a lifetime warranty, but something like 20 or 30 years on the ceramic parts.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541

"I have both, you buy a BGE if you want the community and you are going to travel with it, you buy “X”  if you aren't going to travel" -that really resonated with me-because there is no way I was going to start travelling with a smoker -although now I understand why some people do it. 

Why would the BGE be better for traveling vs a GD?   Honestly, if you have to travel with a large-sized kamado, go with a BSK.   I own a BSK and BGE.... both serve their purposes, and I love both.
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    He's talking about the "community" traveling to Eggfests I assume.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'm in northern Indiana, about 20 miles from Lake Michigan. I get lots of snow. My older Egg is pretty new, about 6 years. I rarely cover it. I've cooked with snow more than half way up its body, and in -17F (without windchill.) The worst thing that happens is sometimes it gets coated with ice, and I have to melt it open with a weed burner. A couple of the nuts and bolts are showing a little rust.

There have been plenty of Eggers from Minnesota, Vermont, Canada, etc. I don't recall anyone having problems.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I assume GD means Grill Dome and Grill Dome = Brand X.  I looked into them when I got my egg, I thought they had pretty good customer service & warranty.  Maybe not a lifetime warranty, but something like 20 or 30 years on the ceramic parts.
    Just checked out their website.  Looks like a pretty legit piece, I have to admit. 
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I live in Canada and have had no troubles with mine and i use it more in the winter than the summer.To be honest i think it works better in the winter for some reason.
    This makes good sense to me. We've been burning wood with an indoor boiler since the late 70's and I can attest that it is much easier to get a good fire going on cold days in the winter vs "cool" days in the fall. I think the heat rises up the chimney better the colder it is, creating a better draft. Makes sense that the concept would work the same way in an Egg.
  • smoke_monster
    smoke_monster Posts: 42
    edited April 2012
    I considered a GD but decided on a BGE because I had concerns about durability. You have to baby the GD - special shut down procedures and there is a indirect heat limit. Worst yet GD would never directly answer my questions. That said, if you contact them they will provide replacement parts. They are good with their warranty.

GD makes a great product with stainless hardware, thicker ceramics, deeper dome, better warranty than BGE but I think their ceramics are weaker and moisture is a problem with their painted units. I love my BGE and I'm glad I went with the original.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    better warranty than BGE
    Curious.  How can GD have a better warranty than BGE's lifetime warranty.  Or are you talking about non-ceramic parts?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Yep - BGE's metal parts are 10 years (or so I can't recall exactly) while GD's metal parts are lifetime. 
  • Mine was outside uncovered for 4 years in WI and has been outside uncovered for 3 years in the TX sun. Still looks and works perfect. You cannot treat it any worse that I do and it just keeps on cookin.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • That's exactly why I bought an egg.
  • I have not had any issues with mine and I leave them uncovered.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • smoker13

thanks everyone for the info.  Yes I bought a Grill Dome, I had meant to edit that out-I didn't want to smack another brand.  From my speaking to GD last year I don't see them replacing it-if they don't I'm done with them as I wouldn't think a new one would be any different from the first.

I appreciate all the color.

-paul

• smoker13
    i have 3 eggs, this one is my newest, about 7 years, it absorbed some water this winter and cracked from the freeze/ thaw. theres a bge replacement base on the way, its covered.  its covered for as long as i own it and as long as they are in business i figure

Fishless-I'm curious, does BGE pay to ship it to you or are you paying the shipping?  thanks

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    its taken several weeks, but the distributer dropped it off at a place near me for no charge on shipping. im picking it up today. its the strangest cracks, half way thru, no cracks on the inside, ive never seen one posted that looked like this.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it