Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Elusive (NEW) Mini Egg

sodiii
sodiii Posts: 9
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

As a bit of background, I live in Minnesota and finally received my dear wife's approval late last week to go ahead and purchase the Mini egg. Based on feedback from the forum (special thanks to Mickey, Weberwho!, and Ripnem), I have a description of the new features (dual hinge, new style handle, new thermometer, firebox with seam, and 10" grid) to ensure I have the latest version of the mini.

However, after spending a couple hours on the phone and travelling to several dealers yesterday, the Mini with new features is turning out to be quite elusive. I'm starting to wonder if it will be possible to get the new mini any time yet this summer. Following is the challenge at hand:

- Only two local stores (within 25 miles of Minneapolis) have the Mini in stock (Kitchen Window in Uptown and Diamond Lake Ace Hardware) and they both have older versions. The folks at Diamond Lake Ace Hardware were exceptionally helpful (from whom I plan to place all my future business to extent possible) and it turns out they just purchased/received their latest older style mini two weeks ago from the North Dakota distributor (had larger grid but not other recent design upgrades).

- I called Big Green Egg customer service today to see if they had any suggestions, where a representative mentioned that this North Dakota distributor actually supplies all of the local stores in my area. They recommended contacting the distributor directly to confirm when they plan to get stock of the new style Mini's in, which I proceeded to do. This regional distributor then confirmed that they have not yet had the new style Mini's in and they are currently on backorder from Big Green Egg with no ETA available due to an issue identified with the band (they didn't elaborate as to what specifically the issue was).

So I'm now considering whether it is worth waiting for this elusive new style Mini to surface here in Minnesota (at this point it's not clear if that will be anytime yet this summer), or if I should just buy the old style Mini either used or possibly at a discount from the helpful folks at the Diamond Lake Ace Hardware.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Dude,

I called Adam and he'll lend you his til yours comes in. (just kidding) The mini is a blast to cook with and I would order it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Just get the old. Others will probably chime in, but I doubt the new changes will outweigh loss of months of delicious and fun meals waiting on a grid that is barely larger and handle shaped differently.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Sounds to me like circumstances have forced you into getting a medium. Why, that's just terrible!
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    @sodiii - I live in Mankato and the regional BGE rep is supposed to be here at the local dealer doing a demo today. I was planning on stopping in to discuss gaskets (what a surprise) with him. If I happen to catch him, I'll see what I can find out about the new mini. I'm not sure how long he'll be there today or what time yet as I have plans later this afternoon and evening, but I'll try. The dealer is only about a mile from my house. Also sounds like the Diamond Lake guys may have already spoke with him.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    What exactly is the difference in the "new" mini, and the old mini. Other than price, which likely went up, what changes were made

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2012
    What exactly is the difference in the "new" mini, and the old mini. Other than price, which likely went up, what changes were made

You want 10" grate, dual hinge, fixed handle, and fired box made like the large with open seam for expansion running down it, and new true-tel temp on it. There, that is the latest Mini unless another change that just happened. Plus if you want a nest you will want the newer one like the Larges, not the steel band type.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited April 2012
    Guys you can always have one mailed. Hell, I mailed one to Afghanistan and got there just fine.image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• sodiii
    Mickey - Are you volunteering? I'm mostly kidding, but if by some chance you were up for it, I would be willing to send a check plus cost of shipping/packaging/incidentals up front. My wife and I have some good friends in Texas, but they don't know anything about eggs -- so with my luck I'd probably end up with the old style after all!

I spoke with someone else at the ND distributor that supplies the MN dealers, and he confirmed that they have never had the new style Mini in, have an order placed with BGE but have no idea when it might be filled as the Mini's are on back order due to some kind of manufacturing issue.
  • sodiii
    I'm starting to wonder if I would be better off just settling on a small for now. Kind of depressing now that I convinced myself that I had to have a Mini sooner rather than later, but it's starting to sound like it might actually be cheaper than the alternatives (like taking a road trip somewhere where they are more plentiful).

It seems like BGE should be willing to ship Mini's in situations where they don't plan to have any stock in your area for the foreseeable future. I guess it's probably not a big enough seller to warrant special treatment. :(
  • Mickey
    edited April 2012
    sodiii where are you? Do you want a stand? Where in Texas is friends?
    Call me, we will work something out I am sure. 254.289.1877

• sodiii
    Our friends in Texas live in Waxahatchie. We live in Minnetonka, MN. We visited a couple years ago but didnt have any plans to go again soon with a new born and toddler at home.

No need for a stand as the local ace hardware has what I believe is the new style stand (looks more like the nests for other sizes as opposed to the one with the metal ring for the egg to rest in).
  • Mickey
    The new egg will run $399 plus tax. Can drop off in Waxahachie on way to Dallas( drive through it on I35).
    Or can send to you. Be glad to help.

• sodiii
    Mickey -- If you would seriously be up for it, that would be awesome! I would honestly be much more comfortable with just having you send it to me, since you have sent one through the mail before. I'm willing to take the risk that there is always the off chance it would be damaged by the carrier. Would $500 cover everything? If so, that would definitely be worth it to me. I get varying estimates on USPS for parcel post from Salado to Minnetonka (zip code 55305) depending on the total weight and package size. My email address is sode0076@hotmail.com if this all sounds okay to you and you want send me your mailing address. I would get the check in tomorrow's mail. I figure if you were willing to send a copy of the receipt along, I should still be able to register it under my name for the lifetime warranty! Dan
  • Mickey
    Will send you an email.

• Mickey
    edited April 2012

sodiii's New Mini on my table just 1128 miles south on I35 from his house..image

10" grate and new temp gadge

New fixed handle and double hinge 

new firebox with expansion joint like Large firebox 

Pulling all apart to re-wrap and mail. Dan, Salado is on Exit 285 of I-35. What is the Exit near you? Exit 285 is 285 miles to Mexico.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Mike, I think you just earned your egg wings.  [-O<
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • That's people helping peoe right there. Nice work Mickey!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • *people helping people.
  • sodiii
    I'm so looking forward to getting this package in the mail. Thanks again, Mickey!!!

Mickey - I didn't realize that I-35 stretched all the way down to Texas, until seeing your post above and referencing a map! But I am familiar with the portion of this highway up here in Minnesota. It splits into two highways, 35E and 35W, for a span around the Twin Cities -- so that might change the numbering order of the exits. But exit 17c off of 35W is probably closest to my house (within about ten miles or so) and exit 17b is within a mile of my work.
  • Mickey
    edited April 2012
    Sodiii down here most of the Exits are the same as the mile markers. What is your closest mile marker?
    Your Mini will go out in the morning.

• sodiii
    It looks like our exit numbers also line up with mile markers, except they start at zero at the border with Iowa and correspond with miles as you head north. Then the exit numbers start over at zero where 35 splits into 35W and 35E.

So to get total miles along 35W to Salado, I'm guessing we would need to add the 17 miles on 35W, the 88 additional miles on 35 to the Iowa border, 218 miles through Iowa, 114 miles through Missouri, 234 miles through Kansas, 235 miles through Oklahoma, then 220 (505 - 285?) within Texas to Salado. That's quite a road trip for the Mini!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Mickey, you are a good Egg.

I'm proud to serve under your command on "Team Turbo Butt."
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Dan,
    That's awesome you got your new mini!! Congratulations.
    I will look forward to pictures of future cooks.

Someday I too will have one join my family!
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • sodiii
    Thanks, Chad. It is awesome indeed! I definitely plan to post pictures of some Mini cooks in the coming months., But assuming some of us MN forum members end up getting together you might have to do a taste test of something made on the Mini. I'm sure that would beat pictures any day!
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Mickey, I think you should cook on it first, just to confirm you don't do all of this for a defective egg.. :D
  • Mickey
    Mickey, I think you should cook on it first, just to confirm you don't do all of this for a defective egg.. :D

To late:

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Your a pretty good bird there Mickey!!
    :D
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Your a pretty good bird there Mickey!!
    :D
    +1 on that.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    That is some serious packaging!!
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Strong work Mickey! That is worth 10 points in the good column on the "cosmic scoreboard"!