Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to try some pulled pork

acr
acr Posts: 27
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I've had the egg for a couple of weeks, I've cooked a spatchcock chicken, some burgers, a prime rib and some steaks using the trex method.  All turned out great... so I'm going to try my first low and slow and cook me a pork butt.  I've read a lot of direction on this forum and the naked whiz' site, so I feel "prepared" to tackle this one *fingers crossed*.  I do have one critical question:

Can someone, would someone please suggest a sauce recipe?

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I like this one on pork butt.

2 C ketchup
    1 C water
    1/2 C apple cider vinegar
    5 T light brown sugar
    5 T sugar
    1/2 T fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 T onion powder
    1/2 T ground mustard
    1 T lemon juice
    1 T worcestershire sauce
    Combine, bring to boil, simmer 1 hour plus stirring frequently.

Neeley's BBQ sauce.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    I have never seen the logic of using sauce to begin with. I like to use a rub, and let the smoke flavor the ribs. If someone feels that they need sauce, I have it there to add to the finished product. I have cooked ribs on the Egg using hickory for four hours and have had terrific results.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • acr
    I'll be using the sauce on the finished product... you can't have pulled pork without sauce!  

Oddly, the largest pork shoulder my butcher gets in is 3lbs (so I ordered three of them)... I guess it'll be a shorter cook than previously thought! 

• acr
    As a $50 follow up question; if i'm planning to cook 3, 3lb shoulders how do I adjust my time?  like it's a single 9lb one or do I plan for a 3lb one?

So assuming 2 hours/lb @ 220 - 250, is it 6 or 27 hours?

... now that I've written that down it sounds less than bright, but I've never cooked a pork shoulder before!  Anything I should worry about cooking these smaller cuts?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @acr-it should be around a 6 hour cook at 250*F (+/-) on the dome.  Each one is a stand-alone cook unless you tie them together.  Give yourself some extra time as each will cook at its own pace-you can always hold in a cooler until all are finished.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    yes they will likely go on the long side of the 2 hr. per pound because of the cold mass (masses) but treat them as individual.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    3 lb max seems very small for a butcher. I buy a cryovaced boneless 2 pack at Costco. They were about 8 lbs each. I'm going to pull leftovers out of the freezer to thaw tomorrow and make a pulled pork pizza.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    If you are talking before cooking the butt I use Butt Rub. If after pulling I use just a little more Butt Rub. I don't sauce.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• acr
    edited April 2012
    3 lb max seems very small for a butcher. I buy a cryovaced boneless 2 pack at Costco. They were about 8 lbs each. I'm going to pull leftovers out of the freezer to thaw tomorrow and make a pulled pork pizza.
    I thought that too... I'm going to see if the man himself is there when I pick up my order and ask him what's up. Maybe it's just not a big seller around here, so he doesn't bring in the big shoulders.  Maybe it's a Canadian thing, he seems to have no trouble getting back bacon :)

• Little Steven
    I was going to say that you might be in Canada. We don't get whole butts very often in the grocery chains. When they have them they are usually whole shoulders (New York shoulders). Costco doesn't have them here either. You need to make friends with a butcher.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    why can you call them "New York" shoulders, but we can't say "Canadian Bacon"?
    ;;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    You can say whatever you want. We can't get butts or Canadian bacon :)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven

acr,

You might get a whole butt at the supermarkey butcher counter but it would probably be the same price as the roasts. When they are on sale they are a buck a pound or less.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371

When it comes to sauce on pulled pork, I stick with original North Carolina vinegar based sauce.  It's about balance with the rich texture of the rub/smoke/pork flavor and the bright notes from the sauce.

3 cups Apple Cider vinegar

6 tbls white sugar

2 tbls mustard powder

2 tbls salt

2 tbls black pepper

1 tbls crushed red pepper

Tabasco to taste

Shake it up in a Mason jar and serve.  It doesn't stay together so you'll have to shake each time you want to apply it.

Marietta, East Cobb, GA