Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Turbo-Butt?

Options
tjp1060
tjp1060 Posts: 55
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
A coworker and I split a package of Costco pork shoulders. I had planned to do a turbo-butt in my small. Unfortunately, there isn't a bone in my cut of meat. Is that a deal breaker? Do I  need to go out and get another butt with a bone?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nah, it's ok. Do it same way
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I did one this weekend with no bone as well. It was just ok. Bone-in is better, IMO. I think I just pulled it a little late. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There is little difference between cooking bone-in or out. The main thing is that having been de-boned there is a small chance that the meat has some contamination inside it. So make sure the meat gets to at least 140F for awhile. But, assuming you are going for pulled pork, it'll be clean long before its ready for pulling.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I have done bone in and out, both turbo and regular. I can't tell the difference in taste.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    CenTex Search my last turbo cook I did on the small. The title is: Modified turbo butt cook. It was a boneless 3+ roast and it turned out great. Dont be skimpy on the lump

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • tjp1060
    Options
    Great. Thanks for the info. I'll post pictures after this weekend.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I did one this weekend with no bone as well. It was just ok. Bone-in is better, IMO. I think I just pulled it a little late. 
    I think they are better with the bone but no reason not to do the one you already have. I always buy bone in but I've done them both and nobody sent any back! Good experience to work with one that's boneless so you can learn the difference. Go for it, It will still be better than most BBQ you can buy anywhere.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I agree. My wife thought it was great. I was in a hurry and didn't check whether or not it had a bone. It's all in my head. It was fine. It pilled nicely. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • tjp1060
    Options

Ok. I finally cooked a 9 lb boneless Turbo-butt on my small. Here is how I did it:

- Tuesday- Brined the butt in a salt and molasses solution.

- Wednesday - Removed from brine and covered with yellow mustard and a generous layer of Bad Byron's Butt Rub.

- Thursday - Loaded my egg, my butt, and my butt into the truck and headed to Blue Ridge Ga for a weekend of trout fishing with 6 other guys.

- Friday - Filled the egg with Wicked Good and apple wood until i couldnt fit another piece of lump into it. The plate setter was actually rocking on the lump. I put the butt on at 9:00am at 300 deg. By 3:30, I was running out of fuel. The dome temp had fallen to 250 so I removed the butt at 4:30pm after 7.5 hours at 198 deg. I let it rest for about an hour before pulling.

I have to say that this was the best pulled pork that I ever put into my mouth. Everybody agreed that it was the most moist and tender pork that they have ever eatten and talked about it the rest of the weekend.

I don't think I will ever try to do a low and slow overnight if this butt is an indication of what a turbo-butt tastes like. I cannot image it could turn out any better that this one did.

I didn't get any pictures of the butt after I removed it from the egg because I couldn't remove it in one piece. It was so tender that it came apart in several pieces. Here is a picture of the butt before I closed the egg and one after I pulled it.

• tjp1060
    Options
  • tjp1060
    Options
    Well, obviously, i have issues with photos.