Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese Burgers with Home Ground Beef

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Friday I was craving a good home made cheeseburger all day long. Sometimes you get a craving and you just can't ignore it. We were out of meat, so I had to run to the store to get some. Decided on a mixture of chuck and beef short ribs.

Went on to the Egg at 500F and when they were almost done, got topped with some cheese.

Plated up (or basketed up) with some curly fries.

Sometimes its the simple things in life that are so good. More pics and the rest of the story can be found HERE

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115

Great looking burgers and great blog.

One of these days I'm hoping someone will risk getting burger juices all over their camera and cut their burger in half for a cross-section shot!

• Man, you just ruined the rest of my day...WOW...That looks outstanding!!
  • Griffin
    I'll try and remember to do that for you next time KingRover. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Griff,

My wife just ordered the meat grinding attachments for the Kitchenaid mixer. I can't wait to make my own burgers. Short Ribs, flap meat, and chuck are on my "blend" mix.

Your pics have me more fired up now. Thanks for posting. 
    :-bd
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115

Chalk it up to one of the pitfalls of a good blog - demanding, entitled readers!

Forgot to ask: Those buns look fantastic - what brand? Did you brush them with butter to get that gloss?

• Griff,

My wife just ordered the meat grinding attachments for the Kitchenaid mixer. I can't wait to make my own burgers. Short Ribs, flap meat, and chuck are on my "blend" mix.

Your pics have me more fired up now. Thanks for posting. 
    :-bd
    Brisket point makes awesome burgers! it's the only use I can think of for the 3-4lb packs that have been trimmed within an inch of their lives. There is a place in Ft. Worth owned by Tim Love called The Love Shack and they do 1/2 brisket 1/2 short rib burgers. Ambulances standing by!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Griffin

Eggbertsdad- Sweet!! You are gonna love grinding your own burgers. I keep hearing about flap meat, but have never seen it. Need to find a good butcher around these parts.

KR - like stike said earlier, you can demand all you want, but that don't mean I'll do it. But for you, I'll try. ;) Actually, I'll try anthing anybody asks (with in reason) As for the buns, those were from the bakery section at my local Tom Thumb. I sprayed them with some Pam (both sides) just before going on the grill..

Cen-Tex - brisket is on my list for the next batch of ground meat. I've heard of his Love Shack, seems to get mixed reviews, and from what I've heard, he's too busy being a celebrity now to bother coming in to either of his restaurants, but that's all hearsay. Would love to try it, though.

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggbertsdad- Sweet!! You are gonna love grinding your own burgers. I keep hearing about flap meat, but have never seen it. Need to find a good butcher around these parts.

KR - like stike said earlier, you can demand all you want, but that don't mean I'll do it. But for you, I'll try. ;) Actually, I'll try anthing anybody asks (with in reason) As for the buns, those were from the bakery section at my local Tom Thumb. I sprayed them with some Pam (both sides) just before going on the grill..

Cen-Tex - brisket is on my list for the next batch of ground meat. I've heard of his Love Shack, seems to get mixed reviews, and from what I've heard, he's too busy being a celebrity now to bother coming in to either of his restaurants, but that's all hearsay. Would love to try it, though.

Griffin- I would say the mixed reviews are warranted.1st, it's a total dump with no indoor seating. 2nd, the burgers are so tricked out and rich that you need a 4 hour nap after eating one :) Flavor was really good though. Just a little over the top.

• Total dump is a bit strong. It's an outdoor place with no AC and we ate there in August. Super rich burgers and 110 degree heat do not mix. I felt like Ron Burgundy when he was walking down t he street in the summer drinking a warm carton of milk..................."this was a horrible idea":)

Worth a try though but get there before it gets too hot.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Griffin- I know flap meat is part of the bottom sirloin but I'm not sure what other names it goes by. It is similar to skirt steak but more tender.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    OK, We've picked up something called Hanger steak. Similar to Flap?
    I know we have a butcher on here somewhere.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Eggbertsdad
    OK, We've picked up something called Hanger steak. Similar to Flap?
    I know we have a butcher on here somewhere.

I love hanger steak. I marinate it in chimichurri (sp?) and quick sear it....OUTSTANDING!