Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First low and slow ?

Options
MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a v rack for ribs. Going to turn it over and put a butt in it in hopes I can but a grate on top with a slab of ribs.

Lbge

Anyone done that? If so can I do the butt for 4-5 hours then add the ribs and take em all off together?

XLBGE 

Comments

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Sounds like your biting off more then you can chew for your first low and slow. Maybe you should consider just cooking a butt alone, and then try ribs next weekend. A boston butt is a great first low and slow cook. It's extreamley forgiving and almost always produces a fantastic result. Ribs are definitely a little more difficult, and beef brisket is an absolute ****.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    First pork shoulder.  I expected 5 or 6 hours, and it took 11.  Tastes wonderful.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    @north
    Yea... Maybe I should try just one thing first. I'd hate my butt to stall and ribs to flop.

@Doc_eggerton
    Is that the butt we've all been watching from your stall post! Looks awesome!!

XLBGE 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Yes, and it is delicious.  I will do a bigger one next time, and leave more time.  Thanks to Cen-Tex Smoker for his mentoring.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes, and it is delicious.  I will do a bigger one next time, and leave more time.  Thanks to Cen-Tex Smoker for his mentoring.
    No prob Doc. Glad to do it. Looked awesome

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • supervisor404
    Options
    That looks so so good, what type rub do you use?