Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan with or without liquid?

MikeP624
MikeP624 Posts: 292
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I did my first set of ribs on my new BGE this weekend.  I followed Car Wash Mike's method.  The only change was that I added some apple juice and apple cider vineager to the drip pan, and also misted the rib per Car Wash Mike's method.  The crust on the outside did not get has hard as i would have liked.  Other than that i had no problems, the tempature stabilized quickly and held pretty constant and the ribs were fall of the bone and very juicey. 

Should you add liquid to the drip pan, or should you just mist them?  or both?

Comments

• brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    I am under the conviction that adding any flavor juice/liquid to a drip pan doesn't impart any flavors, or enough to taste anyway.  

I have a friend that has a MS in meat science - he said the best way to increase smoke flavor is to increase humidity, hence the misting, though the BGE will hold in moisture well.  I guess it depends on who you ask. 
    Opelika, AL
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Liquid in the drip pan helps prevent anything dripping from  your cook onto the pan and burning,potentially giving the food an" off" taste.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I've always wondered about flavored liquid in a drip pan. But if you think about it, when you are reducing a sauce, you boil out the water concentrating the flavor. I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen in a drip pan.
    Misting on the food is different, and in my mind will impart flavor, but soften bark.

BTW, Raising the drip pan with some foil balls or copper pipes would also help prevent burning. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I figured the flavored liquid added nothing, because all the flavor was the sticky syrup that was left in the bottom of the pan after 5hrs in the BGE.  I figured it was a moisture thing.  I will just try misting from now on, and maybe stop misting after the first 3hrs so the bark has time to form.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    I've never misted, nor added any liquid to the drip pan, and get great taste, bark, and texture on 5 hour ribs.
    Pentwater, MI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I don't think flavored liquid in the drip pan adds enough flavor to taste. But I do notice that burnt drippings add a little nasty flavor.

I add some water to the pan under the ribs at about 4 hours so the drippings don't burn.

If the ribs look dry, I brush them with a little water, and add more rub to make up for what was washed off.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I am with gdenby.  The function of liquid in the drip pan is to prevent the dripping from burning. not impart flavor or moisture  Sometimes I use the drippings to make gravy or add moisture when meat reheated.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    edited April 2012
    I just use little balls of foil like Tazcrash does, to prevent burning. It works great- does not burn the drippings.
    Opelika, AL