Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great heat gun for starting your charcoal on sale for $14

RichardBronosky
RichardBronosky Posts: 213
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is the only thing I have ever used to start my fires. It takes 20 seconds to start and is roaring in 1-2 minutes. Same results as the Looftlighter. I paid $20 for it, but it is on sale for $14 right now.
I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Can you expand on what you do?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I haven't created my own video yet, but it's basically like this...
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    I did a post on this the other day called the best investment ever!! I love this thing. Bought it last week and it works like a charm. Used it last night and have a big spot of lump going is about 1 min. This thing is worth every penny. I bought mine on sale for 13.99 and then bought the 2 year replacement plan for 4.99 a grand total of 19.96.
  • I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I found something under my wife's bath counter that works well. OH, just noticed, it's a hair dryer. I use it through the bottom vent. 
    Eggo in N. MS
  • chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    Alls I can say is you better not tell your wife what you are doing with her hair dryer!!! :(
  • I found something under my wife's bath counter that works well. OH, just noticed, it's a hair dryer. I use it through the bottom vent. 
    That actually brings up the one complaint I have. There is no "cool mode" on this thing. I think I may modify it to have a bypass switch for the heating element.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i remember the days when all we needed was a match.

:))

god i must be getting old.  give me a match and some charcoal and we're good to go.  no outlets required, no gizmos, no apps telling me the temp is off....

i remember when little steven was sounding like a grumpy old man all the time.  it must have rubbed off onto me over the years. :-S
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I use the propane torch with an electric starter - no wires.  I've been using standard propane (not mapp) and it works great.  I'm also usually in no hurry to start my egg - it may not be faster than other techniques.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-start-propane-torch-91061.html
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    I found something under my wife's bath counter that works well. OH, just noticed, it's a hair dryer. I use it through the bottom vent. 
    That actually brings up the one complaint I have. There is no "cool mode" on this thing. I think I may modify it to have a bypass switch for the heating element.

After griming my hands up all to hell with the veg oil on paper towell method and farting around with perfect placement and ventilation for the parafin/sawdust blocks I said ENOUGH.

I went to HF to buy the $14 one today but liked the 6" long metal "spout" and hot or cool option to the switch on the $50 one so came home with that instead.  What a revelation.  No messing about, just put a couple of big pieces of lump on at the bottom center of the firegrate then dump in whatever else is needed.   Jamb that spout in a couple inches deep and let 'er rip for a minute, then to the cool setting to get a fist sized bunch of coals blazing.   It was up to temp and ready to cook about 20 minutes faster than the above methods.

• Glad to hear you like it! If you have power near your egg, I really think it is the best way to go.