Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

need mutton shoulder/butt advice

JohnBJohnB Posts: 171
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine has gone whole hog, no pun intended, in the paleo-diet/organic meat world. He wants to get a mutton shoulder, about 9 lbs., and do it low and slow on my BGE. Does anyone have any experience with mutton? I know it can be done and done well as I've had the pulled mutton from that place in Owensboro KY (Blue Moon maybe?). Anyway, any advice would be great!
·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,946
    I've made curries and rogan josht on the egg. Mutton has a pretty strong flavour and you would need to really like it to have it roasted.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • centex99centex99 Posts: 231
    blue moon... I think thats the name... gosh that place is good... I haven't been in 3 years or so... guess I need to go visit my aunt/uncle and go there...
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
    I grew up on mutton.  Stay as far away as you can from it.  It will stink up your Egg.  It's the most foul meat ever invented.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

·
  • centex99centex99 Posts: 231
    lol it does kind of stink, but it tastes good! lol
    ·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 809
    I have never cooked mutton but we had mutton at BBQ joint in Lexington KY, JJ McBruster, it was ok but I prefer pork.  I tried it because it was something that I had never had before.

Gerhard
    ·
    I grew up on mutton.  Stay as far away as you can from it.  It will stink up your Egg.  It's the most foul meat ever invented.

Gary,

You have to start making curries buddy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    edited April 2012
    Steve,

My mom bought the cheapest mutton she could find to save money.  To this day, I don't even eat young lamb, because every once in awhile, I'll get a faint whiff of mutton and it makes me gag.  Sorry.  I don't have psychological hangups on meat.  I'll eat cow tongue, rattlesnake, armadillo, javelin, snails, etc., but not mutton.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • JohnBJohnB Posts: 171
    What about sticking as much garlic in it as possible?
    ·
    Gary, That's the whole point of indian cooking

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    To hide the taste?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
    and the rot

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    and the rot
    lolol.  That's why God invented beef.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 183

I have yet to meet Indian cooking that is the least part appitizing.  To me, curry smells nasty and tastes worse.  My wife says I'm an idiot, she loves curry.  But to each his own, the mother in law hates my smoked brisket and would rather it was cooked in the oven.
    ·
  • JohnBJohnB Posts: 171
    My Dad doesn't like Indian food because in WWII, on ship, when the meat would start to turn the cook would start dumping curry on it. I love Indian food.
    ·