Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Smoking a pig(let)

Comments

• IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Dressed
  • SandBillySandBilly Posts: 227
    Just fork test?
    Yes, what is the fork test for a pig?  
    Would rather a temp.
  • SandBillySandBilly Posts: 227
    I don't see why the temp would be any different, pork is pork.
  • centex99centex99 Posts: 231
    160... after that, check for tenderness...
  • acrashacrash Posts: 17

Following the one closely! Keep the photos coming... very interested in how this turns out.

Thanks all.  Will let you know results and hopefully won't be to drunk where I forget to take pics.
    Put the pig on about an hour ago.  I was told 35lbs clean and it fit on the XL no problem.  Didn't have to break any bones or anything.  I would say even another 15lbs could have gotten on there.  
    any pics of pig sitting on xl?
    yeah, sober up and take pics!!!!
    No, didn't takle any and it is at someone elses house.  So, only final pics will be taken.  Sorry
    So, results are in.  I definitely enjoyed everything.  It turns out the pig was 35lbs alive, so closer to 25-30 clean, but fit easily on the egg.  I smoked it at 250 for about 8.5 hours.  The skin was unedible, black and rubber, the meat was amazing, beautiful flavor, pulled apart very easily.  Got about 10 lbs of meat.  I would have to say, even though it was amazing meat, the cost makes it not worthwhile.  I would choose a 10 lb butt from my butcher for $30 over the 35lb pig for $100 anyday.  Very enjoyable, but stick with the boston butts.  Pics up tomorrow.
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    I would agree.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
    Hmmmm thats a bit disapointing... I wonder if a larger pig (on like a caja) would be much better then....Also with those, I thought I had read the skin gets super cirspy and delicious... wonder what the difference is....
    maybe smoked vs roasted...
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,869
    Pics?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  •  

So, results are in.  I definitely enjoyed everything.  It turns out the pig was 35lbs alive, so closer to 25-30 clean, but fit easily on the egg.  I smoked it at 250 for about 8.5 hours.  The skin was unedible, black and rubber, the meat was amazing, beautiful flavor, pulled apart very easily.  Got about 10 lbs of meat.  I would have to say, even though it was amazing meat, the cost makes it not worthwhile.  I would choose a 10 lb butt from my butcher for $30 over the 35lb pig for $100 anyday.  Very enjoyable, but stick with the boston butts.  Pics up tomorrow.

Yeah, but you dont get the delicious cheek meat, rib meat, and other (delicious) nasty bits with a butt.I'm not a big hoof and snout guy but I've been known to dig around a carcass for some odd bites.

Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 308
    If I remember correctly either Anthony Bourdain or Andrew Zimmern says that cheeks are the best bites.
  • If I remember correctly either Anthony Bourdain or Andrew Zimmern says that cheeks are the best bites.

They both do and they are right. Love beef cheek too. Its like the best tenderloin you have ever eaten but much higher fat content. mmmmmmm- fat.

2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • If I remember correctly either Anthony Bourdain or Andrew Zimmern says that cheeks are the best bites.
    Fish is the same way- Halibut cheeks, tuna cheeks. Freaking amazing.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    On the grill and the finished product.  
    My dogs would love those ears!
    Not to mention the rest of it too but they'd have to get through me first! Looks great Devil!
    Thanks man, skin was not to my liking, but all else good.  I want to buy a pig roaster, one that is reasonable and can cook a 100lber to perfection.  
    I saw an Anthony Boudain episode where they were in Thailand roasting a piglet on a rotisserie spit while constantly basting it in coconut water! He said it was the best skin ever! Can't figure out how to replicate it on the egg!
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,869
    Great job Irishdevil. Very interesting.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102
    If I remember correctly either Anthony Bourdain or Andrew Zimmern says that cheeks are the best bites.

+1
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 2,035
    Ok so my buddy traps pigs on the side. He gave me one that was 130 lbs and I cooked it whole for fathers day but on a customer indirect grill

Yesterday he shot one that was about 25lbs alive. It is at processor now gettings cleaned and I plan to cook it whole on my LBGE next Sunday.

Currently my Egg is stock. So at minimum what do I need to buy? Can I just buy some firebricks and another grate and cook that way?
    Once I start cooking I will post pictures.

I assume on e grill setup I get to temp, about 225, and let sit and check every few hours for temp?
    Boom

+1
    +2 (and I'm sure they both think that- and they are right)

2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE