Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

High temp problem

ajridge35ajridge35 Posts: 46
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Loaded up the egg with Royal Oak, put in my weber cube and lit it. Waited about 5 minutes, stirred up the coals. Waited a few more minutes. No flame in sight, the coals were white but zero fire whatsoever. 

So, I closed the vents to extinguish what little heat I had in the egg, which took all of 7 minutes. I emptied my whole egg from top to bottom and removed all dust. Yes, there was a ton - 1st time I've emptied it since owning it. I assumed this was the problem, since minimal air was getting to the flames.

Loaded up the egg with the charcoal again, essentially starting over fresh. Threw on the weber cube, and after 10 minutes, same result - very weak fire (no more than 200*). Holes in the fire box were clean, and the only thing I could possibly think of was that I had quite a few small pieces of lump at the bottom of the pile of charcoal in the egg. 

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated - thank you!

Comments