Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I need to use the feet on my egg

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Do I need to use the feet on my egg on my new table if the egg is resting on a fire brick?

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• Chris88
    Chris88 Posts: 41
    Options
    I am not using the feet for the egg it's seating on some pavers. 
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nope
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I saved my feet to use on the platesetter for raising my pizza stone...yet another tip I learned from here. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Do I need to use the feet on my egg on my new table if the egg is resting on a fire brick?
    I've seen cases where the table has almost burned completely through even with the patio stones underneath. It's recommended to use the feet as well for air space. You can use a lot of other things for spacers while cooking.
  • UPinSMOKE
    UPinSMOKE Posts: 53
    Options
    Tuttle:

If I were you I would use the feet under the Egg. I have heard a few times that placing it directly on the ground/fire bricks/wooden deck has caused a problem! ;-) Having a little air circulation under the Egg is a good thing.....having none could possible become a flaming problem. :-)

When I bought my Egg at the Mother Ship many years ago, they strongly advised using the feet, I took their advice, and after 6+ years of having it on an old wooden deck bench out back, it has never gotten hot enough underneath to even cause discoloration of the old dry wood. YMMV.....but I’d use the feet. ;-)

Pat
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tuttle:

If I were you I would use the feet under the Egg. I have heard a few times that placing it directly on the ground/fire bricks/wooden deck has caused a problem! ;-) Having a little air circulation under the Egg is a good thing.....having none could possible become a flaming problem. :-)

When I bought my Egg at the Mother Ship many years ago, they strongly advised using the feet, I took their advice, and after 6+ years of having it on an old wooden deck bench out back, it has never gotten hot enough underneath to even cause discoloration of the old dry wood. YMMV.....but I’d use the feet. ;-)

Pat
    The new eggs come without feet now. I use them because I have them but they obviously have changed their stance on how important the feet are. (not being smart a$$ here but) I can't figure out how a contained fire in it's own insulated chamber can get so intensely hot that it heats another insulated ceramic lower chamber, then down again through a brick base layer still so intensely hot that it damages or even burns wood that is now a good 6" below the heat source and triple insulated with ceramic and brick. Knowing that heat rises and the hottest part of the egg is in the dome, this does not make sense to me on the surface. Granted, this is not my area of expertise (I have yet to find that) but this does not pass the sniff test to me. . 

Also, I have had my egg on the feet sitting directly on my BGE table for 7 years. There is no heat damage whatsoever to my table. Maybe this proves that the feet provide the 1/4" of space needed to keep everything from going up in flames but my guess is that it's just not that hot in the ash box and the feet are not necessary.

There are a lot smarter cats than me on here that can speak to this in scientific manner and I'm all ears the hear what they have to say. 

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    I use my feet for raising my pizza stone, Thats why I raised the question. I was just worried of not being able to get a second pair of feet since I learned the mothership is not supplying them anymore with the egg.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    Well, not selling the feet may be because they came up with table nests that hold it up and off the tables...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use my feet for raising my pizza stone, Thats why I raised the question. I was just worried of not being able to get a second pair of feet since I learned the mothership is not supplying them anymore with the egg.
    Do you use your stone right on top of the plate setter? I do the inverted setter with the grate and then set my stone on the grate. Not sure that's the right way but seems to work OK for me.

• TUTTLE871
    Options

I put legs done on the inverter and then place the feet around and rest the stone on the feet.

I guess if I need the feet I can do the grate method.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    I put the plate setter legs up, then the spider with legs down adn pizza stone on top of spider... (even higher than being on top of grate...
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I built a table and placed my Egg on fire brick. Figured that would be more than enough to prevent heat from reaching the table. This past week, I did spatchcock chicken and had it at 400F for over an hour with the pre-heat. Toward the end of the cook, I reached down and felt the underside of the shelf right below the Egg and was shocked at how warm it was. Not "hot", but plenty warm. I just placed the feet between my Egg and fire brick this morning. Figured that extra bit of space and some air movement sure wouldn't hurt anything. Besides, I needed a hair more clearance for my hinge mechanism when the lid was opened anyhow. My shelf was about 1/16" too low for perfect hinge clearance and they were rubbing my table top slightly when I opened the dome.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Just remember those pavers aren't insulators. They are heat sinks, and eventually they will warm up to the temp against them.
    Another thing I noticed is that with a Turbo grate, small burning chunks will drop to that bottom level, and keep on burning. The other night I saw a nice orange glow from mine. Mini-mount Doom.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!