Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket #2

Options
centex99
centex99 Posts: 231
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I've been cooking (through some heavy rain even) my second brisket on the egg... Likely my 4-5th brisket cook overall...  This time it was a choice brisket... trimmed down, seasoned up with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and tubinar sugar.... cooked for first 5-6 hours at 200-225 grate, now am cooking at 240-250 grate... been on for 12 hours or so now... will post pics when done, didn't get any precook...

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Bring it! That brisket I did yesterday was the one I was supposed to do on Easter. Got lazy and left it in the fridge in the cryo for another week. It was a crap brisket but turned out decent. Just had a sammy as a matter of fact.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • centex99
    Options
    The flat is up to 184 or so... teh point didn't seem as hot... neither seem very probe tender when trying to pull through the meat...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The flat is up to 184 or so... teh point didn't seem as hot... neither seem very probe tender when trying to pull through the meat...
    That's kind of strange. Usually the point is done several hours before the flat. You are getting close. Mine was at 192 when I pulled it yesterday. Trust your feel on the probes over the temp reading. move it around some too and see what it's reading elsewhere in the brisket. Mine was reading 180 in the flat yesterday, I moved it 3 inches up and it was at 174. Took 3 more hours! Just remember It ain't done until it's tender, no matter what the temp says. Go by feel if you have to. You'll get it.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Centex99  congrats for braving the rain.   I had planned to do a brisket this weekend - after the forecast bailed out.   Looks like the rain is letting up - thinking I will fire up the egg in a big.  Smoke the sausage I got yesterday and then some salmon.

Cookin in Texas
  • centex99
    Options
    Well... at first wasn't sure it was tender, but the decided it was fairly tender and mid 190s everywhere... so pulled off and wrapped and into the cooler it went.  Should stay hot for dinner at 6:30-7:00....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well... at first wasn't sure it was tender, but the decided it was fairly tender and mid 190s everywhere... so pulled off and wrapped and into the cooler it went.  Should stay hot for dinner at 6:30-7:00....
    Oh yeah. You are golden. Send pics

• centex99
    Options
    Wrapped w/o, but will take pics once I unwrap this evening... hopefully I didn't lose too many juices checking tenderness... hmmm... have some corn on cob to cook... anyone ever roast it at 225-250?  If so, how long?  In husk i'd assume, what about the silk...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wrapped w/o, but will take pics once I unwrap this evening... hopefully I didn't lose too many juices checking tenderness... hmmm... have some corn on cob to cook... anyone ever roast it at 225-250?  If so, how long?  In husk i'd assume, what about the silk...
    If you go in husk, you have to shuck it down to the base (don't remove husk) and take all the silk out. I have a killer recipe for it. I'll dig it up and sent. It has time/temp etc. Did it for a party of 35 a few weeks ago and it was a hit.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Here is the one I did for the party. it's actually a fast hot cook with no husks. It is "Mexican Street Corn" style and it was awesome. I haven't done them in the husk lately so I wouldn't trust myself to figure it out without looking for a recipe.