Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday ribeyes

Options
eggo
eggo Posts: 492
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
These 1 and half inch ribeyes looked great. Seared for 4 min on each side at 600, then closed all vents and grilled for another 5 mins. They tasted great and were cooked to med. However; they were a little tough. Probably the quality of the meat. Don't know how it was rated as I had them cut for me.
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Steeeeeeaaaaaaak!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They look ok quality to me. Did you temp check them or are you just going by looks to say they were med?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Just went by looks for med. Cooked some that looked just like these before and they turned out very tender. Cooked the same way too. 
    Not saying these were bad, just not as tender as I expected. They were actually very tasty.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just went by looks for med. Cooked some that looked just like these before and they turned out very tender. Cooked the same way too. 
    Not saying these were bad, just not as tender as I expected. They were actually very tasty.
    Interesting. I would guess that they might not have any age on them. That definitely helps and most choice and above they will put 21-28 days on them before breaking down and putting in the cryo packs. Some of the others get packed faster and that can affect tenderness.

Bet they were still delicious!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I don't completely shut the vents.  I leave them at a setting that would hold maybe 250*.  It allows any smoldering smoke to escape rather than be trapped in the egg and doesn't add much additional heat.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.