Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why you still need a gasser......

Drunk at the EGG
Drunk at the EGG Posts: 52
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
to use a work table, storage, and third hand of course.

Comments

• Nice! and so true too.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Thats funny,i dont plan on using mine again either.Both my tanks have expired and have no plans on buying new ones.
  • Tonight was black peppercorn Tri Tip and tomato relish with red wine shrooms and baked potatoes. I still have yet to screw anything up on the BGE and it has been more than 7 years already.
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Yep, that's almost exactly what mine looks like as well.
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    And what you use your kitchen cook top for.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• And what you use your kitchen cook top for.
    nice to see you are drinking the good stuff doc (Leffe). Those monks know how to make people happy with their delicious beers.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    I agree.  I have not used my gasser since I got the Egg (5 months) other than to store Eggsessories.  I considered gutting the gasser and trying to make it into an Egg table but I decided it would look like a hack job.  Need to build a table now that its warming up.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I guess I will run contrary to the crowd...   I still use my gasser for somethings.

I prefer burgers cooked on the Egg, but if its 6pm, after work, hungry, and just want to eat.   They are sizzling on the gasser 10 to 12 minutes after I walk in the house.

I know, BGE is ready to cook within 15-20 minutes, but thats after I put charcoal in - etc.

Was interesting last year.   Friend who had an Egg for a while got a gasser to go with it ( same reason), I got an Egg to go with my gasser.

Believe me - there is not a bigger evangalist for the BGE than I am - but, still burn some gas sometimes.

Cookin in Texas
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Same here. During the workweek when I come home.  Throw some burgers and/or brats on the gasser for a quick fix. I prefer the BGE, but sometimes time is a factor.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Chris88
    Chris88 Posts: 41
    No need for my gasser it's on it's last leg anyway. I do need the pp tanks for the crawfish. 
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    I still use mine too when time is a factor, mostly quick lunches.  I got time though, Egg is fired up. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    If I know I am cooking during the week I will get the lump ready the night before. When I get home all I need to do is light it and prepare the food.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    I have only used my Weber gasser once since becoming an egg owner. I had two pork butts in the egg and needed it for appetizers (ABT's). The first batch of ABT's were enjoyed by the guests. The second batch was grilled direct around 350-375 in the egg. Everyone, and I mean everyone could tell the difference and preferred the egg's product. Funny how that stuff works....
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • UrbanEgg
    UrbanEgg Posts: 36
    Once i got my egg i never used the gasser and it too became a storage unit.

It's since been replaced by a deck box.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Still need my Gasser for during the week cooks, but we know that it doesn't taste as good.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    I still LOVE my gasser. In addition to other stuff mentioned, I use mine for overflow and for holding stuff warm. I also have a large Griddle-Q that's just outstanding for stuff like hash browns, bacon, eggs, cheesesteaks, pancakes and even for cooking french fries. 

Most of all, I use the side burner to get the charcoal starter up and running quickly.

My Genesis will definitely always have a place in our on our back patio.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

I
    I still LOVE my gasser. In addition to other stuff mentioned, I use mine for overflow and for holding stuff warm. I also have a large Griddle-Q that's just outstanding for stuff like hash browns, bacon, eggs, cheesesteaks, pancakes and even for cooking french fries. 

Most of all, I use the side burner to get the charcoal starter up and running quickly.

My Genesis will definitely always have a place in our on our back patio.

Hogsfan,

I hope you aren't doing that on a wood deck. I did and had a house fire

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372

I still use my gasserimage

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I use the side burner for lighting chimneys of charcoal and use the main cooking area for the occasional high heat burn off of stubborn crud from the cooking grates of my other cookers.  It also works well for seasoning woks and cast iron stuff so I don't smell up the inside of the house during seasoning:

I used to use it occasionally for quick cooks but since I got a Mini the gasser rarely gets to cook anything.  I think the last thing I cooked on it was a rotisserie turkey.  

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA