Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggs is covered in mold :-(

UPinSMOKE
UPinSMOKE Posts: 53
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just returned from a four month work assignment in the Boston area early this morning. My Egg has been dormant for four months. When I raised the lid, I was greeted by a cornucopia of molds, mostly white and green ones. From the bottom of the EGG up to the chimney, it is pretty gross. 

I just fired it up with a full load of lump and am letting it get as hot as it can. I am not sure this will take care of the problem since molds can be pretty tough customers. 

I know “cleaning” the inside of the EGG with chemicals, bleaches, etc is frowned upon here in the forums...so is there anything else I can do other than get it as hot as I can for several hours to see if this kills the molds? If indeed they are killed, what’s the best way of removing what is left from the insides of the EGG?

Question #2... my cast iron grate is covered with rust too.....can I just pressure wash it clean, cover it in Crisco and places it in a 250 degree oven in order to “season” it again?

Thanks in advance, everyone!!!!

I am just so happy to be back in the south...back home!!! :-)

Pat

Comments

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Start a fire an burn it off at 750 Degree F for 15 to 30 minutes and she will be back like new! This is basically a self-clean process like your oven!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    edited April 2012

If your cast iron grill grate sits out in a moist or wet
    environment for long enough to gather rust,use a wire brush or fine grit sand
    paper to get the rust off. One trick for getting rust off of the area between
    the rods of your grill grate is to mix some pork fat (lard) with some salt and
    coat the grates with it.

Fire up the grill and the fat and salt mixture carries
    away much of the rust, dripping down into the grill. After the fat has been
    rendered off, brush the grates down with a wire brush. It is a quick fix, best
    to not let your cast iron grates get rusty in the first place.

The secret with cast iron grates is to coat them with oil after each cook! Also if you plan to be away for extended period give it a coat of oil when the grates are cooled down & don't forget to do the back side!

Also check the video on my review here http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.ca/2012/03/craycort-cast-iron-grates-review.html it will show you how to clean them and remove rust!

Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    not all mold is dangerous.  you'll be fine after a couple hours at high-ish heat. don't feel the need to go full-tilt and bury the needle
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    RE Question 2.
    Remove rust with a wire brush.
    Wash in hot water (no soap) to remove any dirt and rust dust
    Completely dry
    Generously rub with lard or shortening
    Place on baking sheet lined with foil and bake at 300 degrees
    After 15 min. remove from oven and discard excess grease
    Return to oven for 1 hour
    Turn oven off and allow to completely cool before removing.
    Do not wash it it should be ready to go.

I used this to clean up a rusted shut daisy wheel I recently purchased on a very neglected LBGE and it came out like new.
    Good luck bringing her back to life.
  • Brownie
    Forgot to mention. If you use heavy smoke with you cast iron grid and season it in your house oven, your kitchen will smell like your grate for a day or two.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    why season in the oven and not just use it in the egg?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Brownie
    Very good point!
  • UPinSMOKE

Thanks to all of you for your quick answers to my query. That’s one major advantage of being a member here.... you get great feedback...and you get it back fast! :-)

I ran the Egg on high temps all afternoon and the mold is pretty much gone...after it cools down, a light brushing should get rid of the remnants. :-)

And thanks for the tips for getting the cast iron grill back into shape. Looks like I have some work to do tomorrow....but it won’t take long and now that I am back home I am heading to Wilke’s first thing tomorrow to get some steaks to cook out tomorrow.

Cheers to everyone!!!! Thanks!!!!

Pat
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    If you have access to sand blaster, you can use it on you grate with soft material like nut shells. Then re-season it.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • UPinSMOKE
    Thanks, FT!! That’s a great idea and in fact my neighbor does have a sandblaster! 

Cheers!

Pat
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    It's penicilin
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    Damn...thought this was a new recipe thread