Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday Pizza (my first)

eggo
eggo Posts: 492
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did a frozen (thawed) Digiorno at 425 for 22 mins. Turned out great, may have used too much cornmeal. Wife said she didn't like the cornmeal on the bottom.
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Oh momma, that's some good za right there, I know that there's a few pizza pro's on here, but you know, once you had EGGed Pizza you just can't ever go back to cheap n nasty stuff. However in the mean time you can enjoy the best a frozen za can provide. Best of luck on your personal journey into the world of bread and should you chose it, this will be a mission to find the best crust known to man!...
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Try parchment paper instead of corn meal.  Remove after a couple of minutes, and always rotate the pie every 5 minutes to avoid hot spots.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    I leave the parchment paper in the entire cook... it gets a little burnt up (doesn't affect the flavor) and my curst always seems to come out great!
  • eggo
    @jay75, Thanks, it was very delicious.

@Doc and centex99, Spur of the moment pizza. Will try parchment paper next time, thanks.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I'm really not trying to slam on this or anything like that. I don't want a silly duh answer either.

That being said, is there really a benefit to doing a box pizza on the egg?

XLBGE 
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    The flavor isn't going to be the same as in the oven.
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    @MrCookingNurse if you haven't already home made and cooked a pizza on your egg, just throw a pre-made frozen one to try it, it' a whole different eggsperience! Then if your not hooked try making your own.
  • eggo
    The smoked flavor is something the oven can't produce. I know that now.

@MrCookingNurse     I was wondering the same thing. With all the post, there had to be something there. Try it, you'll see the difference.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I'll have I give it a whirl! My wife makes homemade pizza and we plan on it for the egg but I might just have to throw a boxed one on there after I get my gasket cured.

XLBGE 
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127

Better than a frozen one, get a Boboli thin crust, some sauce and what ever toppings you like and throw it together and then on the Egg. No need for parchment paper or corn meal. Comes out great with little effort (more time for your fasvorite beverage).

I saw this at an Egg Demo last fall and just tried it a couple of weeks ago. Quick, easy and good!

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Fajing
    Fajing Posts: 34
    Pizza on the egg is awesome. It's not really that difficult from scratch. I put a cube baker's yeast in a cup of luke warm water with some honey to feed the yeast. After it froths up I add it to some flour and a little oil and a little salt and knead it to the right consistency. Then I cover it with a damp cloth and let it rise. It's ready in an hour or so.

I crank the egg up to at least 500 degrees. I do use the cornmeal, but the parchment paper sounds like it would work.

It's just the best.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    You don't need cornmeal or parchment for frozen pizza.
  • You don't need cornmeal or parchment for frozen pizza.
    +1. only raw dough sticks. No need on pre-baked store bought and frozen. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • eggo
    Thanks. Guess I didn't ask the right questions. Lot to learn about dough.
    Eggo in N. MS