Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crazy thought for a butt

Options
ShadowNick
ShadowNick Posts: 533
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm tossing a butt on the egg tonight and have been watching the mustard debate and just had a thought that may be insane or could be the best thing ever. Using Franks Redhot Thick mixed with honey and a little bit of mustard as a binder. I do this as a marinade on tenderloins and it's amazing, I'm wondering if it will turn into a decent bark.
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I know your tenderloins don't cook as long but what does it look like on them? Does it glaze, burn, fall off. Outta be able to tell a little something.

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Worried the honey might scorch. Could be freaking awesome though. Brisket is off and results posted soon.........

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    I think as long as I keep the grate at 225 and don't try to turbo, it should be fine
    Pentwater, MI
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Yup, I've used honey mustard before instead of yellow and it was fine. Couldn't really taste it, but nothing was scorched.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cool. Go for it! I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Did u do this?

XLBGE 
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    actually i did.  It was pretty tasty, and the honey did not scorch, even doing turbo ribs
    Pentwater, MI
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    Sugar and honey will not burn if you stay under 300.  
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    but it will oxidize in a low oxygen environment....  i know it seems counterintuitive, but all that back bark is pretty much the same thing you'd get if you burned it, without burning it.

it's like charcoal.  charcoal never catches fire when they make it. no oxygen means it never catches fire.  yet everything's driven off except carbon, leaving 'burnt' looking wood.

you can get sugar to burn at 300, but you can get it to effectively bcome the same thing by keeping it at slightly lower temps for a very long time in an environment lacking oxygen.

like the drippings in your drip pan.  likely not scorched at all.  just reduced to carbon.  which means you end up with pretyy much what you'd have if it had burnt anyway...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Stike, the mothership should just collect all your post and distribute it as a BGE encyclopedia to be distributed with all new eggs. :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    not a good idea. i'm wrong about 75% of the time.  'baffle them with bullsh*t" is the family motto.
    :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

LOL  -- the great mustard debate lives on....

This all started on a discussion about "increasing" the amount of bark.    Not sure my suggestion was taken fully in "context" or not - and didn't bother to go deeper.  

Will go a bit deeper here - relaying my personal experiences, your mileage may vary.   As with most of this - its all about finding what works for you.   Please don't consider this argumentative in any way, simply a deeper explaination of where I think Mustard has value.

Personally - I don't think mustard has any impact on taste.   Cooking half mustard, half no mustard - both would taste the same.

Keep the discussion on increasing bark,  Mustard ( along with other techniques used concurrently can improve bark formation and retention.  

Step 1, clean the meat,

step 2, no foil.

Step 3, this is where mustard comes in.

Rub on meat forms bark.    Getting the fat off meat, makes bark stick better, rub that is clinging to fat will go away as the fat renders.   More material on the surface of meat ( that stays on during the cook ) means more bark. 

Two key points, #1 the amount of surface material when you start the cooking process, # 2 the amount of surface material that stays on through out the cooking process.

The two activities in step 3,  that has convinced me are increasing bark are: Mustard on the surface of the meat under the rub as the inside binder, brown sugar worked in after 2 applications of rub ( apart in time ) to serve as the outside binder.

The brown sugar will sweeten the bark a bit - I think it adds more flavor than the mustard does.  Main impact of the brown sugar is when it starts to carmelize under heat, grabs hold of the surface material helps hold it in place to crisp up as bark.    Look at the label on your rub, it no doubt has sugar in it already, thats why.   The brown sugar I add is just increasing that.

Mrs. Boatbum dearly loves bark - so I have experimented a lot with creating some hefty - barky - meats (brisket and BB ).

The comment about Franks hot sauce is a good point also.    Before I got the Egg, I had used a side box smoker.   A big challenge (or workload)  with a side box smoker is maintaining that consistent temp over time.   I used foil alot to help even out things reduce the amount time I had to watch the fire.

I would do a couple of hours of unwrapped without foil,  then when I was foiling, I would dump an entire bottle of Louisianna Hot sauce on the BB.   Any vinegar based hot sauce would work.   You would never taste it in the finished product, but the vinegar would help tenderize the meat.

I have not been using any hot sauce since I moved to the Egg, ( since I have quit foiling ).   But your suggestion of it has made me think - thank you - will try some again.    I think what I might do is try to get the hot sauce into the meat before applying the rub steps.

Thanks

Cookin in Texas
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    On my last turbo butt I used mustard, Dizzy Dust, and drizzled honey on the top thinking it would give me the bark I was looking for...it did. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    @stike- you are the most scientifically educated griller I have ever been around!  are you sure you arent that guy from that science cooking show that was on a few years ago?  dont remember the name of the show or him.  
    I do appreciate the info though, because you made me reflect on my comment.  I was thinking more in line with cooking chicken, not butts.  

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.