Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woodworking Cutoffs for Smoke?

Options
acr
acr Posts: 27
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, 

Quick question, in the rapidly shrinking spare time that I have I do some woodworking in my shop/garage.  This results in a good number of hardwood cutoffs and other pieces too small to do anything with.   Generally I use local hardwoods, so no hickory or mesquite here but I do have a bunch of cherry and maple.  Would these cutoffs (cut into chunks) be useful as a smoke source?  

If so, and in regard to the maple, is there a specific species that works best?  I assume sugar maple would probably be best.

Thanks, 

A

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I have used pieces given to me from a friend into woodworking. Red oak etc. works fine. Just wood. only looks different from planning etc.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes. As long and they are not processed they are fine. Cowboy Brand Charcoal uses almost 100% end cuts of hardwood trim and flooring materials. I've found some sweet 1/4 round trim in there before!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I've got lots of cherry cutoffs. I've got tons of poplar too, but I don't think there would be any benefit from smoking with poplar.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited April 2012
    Options
    @cen-tex
    thank god we have some level headed folks in here finally.  hahaha
    often we have people complaining that their lump is in the shape of a board/trimming, and they're convinced someone tore down a house and processed the old floorboards as charcoal.

thank you for restoring my faith that there are still people alive in this country who have and use common sense.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @cen-tex
    thank god we have some level headed folks in here finally.  hahaha
    often we have people complaining that their lump is in the shape of a board/trimming, and they're convinced someone tore down a house and processed the old floorboards as charcoal.

thank you for restoring my faith in common sense.
    If you or anyone else is counting on me to restore common sense, you need to check your compass....you are lost :))

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    didn't say you'd restore it.  just that you used yours
    :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    didn't say you'd restore it.  just that you used yours
    :))
    fair enough. BTW- did you see that thread yesterday about the guy in San Antonio that had a brisket that sat on his egg for 4-6 hours after the fire went out? I told him to eat it but the situation had some variables that I am curious as to  what you would have thought. It was outside in the egg for 4-6 hours at 80 degrees. He lit a fire and put on the brisket and went back to work. Came home and no fire, looked like it didn't cook at all, and was outside in 80 degree temps all afternoon. I would have still cooked it up but curious as to what you think.