Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter broke

Options
NewEnglandEgger
NewEnglandEgger Posts: 104
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I went to prep my Egg for a weekends worth of cooking...and when I pulled the plate setter out..it came apart in my hands.  I've had my Egg for about a month.  Last cook was a low and slow Pork Shoulder over the weekend.  

I'm assuming this is unusual?  Planning to talk to my dealer about it..hoping he will just replace it.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have never seen one break like that unless it was dropped on something hard. It would have to be a flaw IMHO

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    It is not visible in the picture, but I've noticed there is a visible discoloration that runs along the exposed edge, making it look like it got wet.  I'm not sure if maybe it cracked while the low and slow was underway, and moisture got into the crack...or if this is a sign of a flaw in the original ceramic manufacture.
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    If there is dark smoke discoloration on the inside of the crack, it most likely occured during your last smoke.  I'm sure your dealer will make it right. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It is not visible in the picture, but I've noticed there is a visible discoloration that runs along the exposed edge, making it look like it got wet.  I'm not sure if maybe it cracked while the low and slow was underway, and moisture got into the crack...or if this is a sign of a flaw in the original ceramic manufacture.
    Mine sit outside during Canadian winters usually buried in snow. I've put them in a hot egg with two inches of ice still on them. My older one is 14 years old and still intact.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    steven, mine has a crack almost all the way across just like this guy's broken one.

i still use it, but expect it to fail any day
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • seanwiley
    seanwiley Posts: 27
    Options
    yeah, mine cracked in almost the same place about 2 weeks ago only a somewhat straighter line. My egg is maybe 6 months old and all I was doing was lifting the cooled place setter so I could see how much charcoal was left from a cook a few days before. 

Maybe there is a bad batch out there? I've been busy at work and haven't attempted to return mine yet or discussed it with the dealer
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mine is 7 years old and going strong. I did just have to replace fire box, ring, and grate though (all under warranty, thank you)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    I was informed the grate is no longer under warranty.(after 5 years) Bastids!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I was informed the grate is no longer under warranty.(after 5 years) Bastids!

They didn't tell me that. My shop said all the parts would be in next week. Hope they take care of it!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    My dealer did a warranty replacement on the plate setter. Back in business

Tom