Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza...on a plate setter

Options
KingRover
KingRover Posts: 115
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

My wife is a minimalist, thinks we don't need a pizza stone. I said we'll see. So I put the grate on, put three firebricks on the grate, and then the plate setter on the grate. The plate setter was tall enough so that there was a little clearance in between the bricks and plate setter. I thought this would mimic a tradition set up of plate setter and pizza stone on the three green feet.

image  image

Whole wheat pizza dough from Trader Joe's, shredded mozzarella, thin sliced sweet potatoes (pre-baked), balsamic fried red onions, and kale (we try to eat healthy.) Egg was heated up to 650, held there for an hour before putting the pizza on with parchment paper. Verdict? The crust didn't have that airy poof I was looking for and didn't brown up as much as I'd like on the first one; the second pizza was left on a little longer and got a little more browning, but no "char". This could be a dough issue. I also left the parchment paper under the whole time - maybe I should have taken it off? It was still a pretty fantastic pizza though. The kale crisped up nicely around the edges. The Egg really did phenomenal job. Sorry for the pics, low light + LG phone camera = crappy pics.

image  image

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Interesting idea. Try removing the parchment next time. You'll get awesome results with the crust. I honestly started making my own dough because every store bought brand I tried had too much sugar and burned. I use the recipe from the BGE cookbook.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Removing the parchment won't make a difference...most likely culprit was the whole wheat dough. Doughs made with too high of percentage of whole wheat flour won't proof like you want it too. It's impossible to get the gluten formation necessary for good results. The remnants of the bran from the wheat are sharp and they break apart strands of gluten.
  • KingRover
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try making my own dough next time and play around with the percentage of whole wheat flour and see if it gets closer to what I want. I was going to pull out the parchment after a minute, I'll definitely try some more things next time.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    30% whole wheat flour is right around the max you want to use....you can go up to about 50% if your other flour is a very high gluten flour(Caputo 00 style). If you want to try 100 whole wheat at home, add about 1 tablespoon of gluten flour (75-80% protein, where as bread flour is in the high teens for protein percentage) per cup of whole wheat flour to improve texture.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

Most local pizza places (atleast in my area) will sell you dough.  Nice short cut if you do not want to make your own dough.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I do high temp 600 degree cooks on my pizzas. The parchment doesn't hold up under those temps for the length of the cook. I leave it on for 1-2 minutes, then remove. I've learned too that turning the pie every few minutes help even out the crust.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
    Options

+1 on cortquitarman except 60 sec's and pull paper.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KingRover
    Options
    I used parchment paper that had foil on the other side, but I did notice some deterioration of the parchment paper. I gotta get my hands on some Caputo 00 and I'll pull it out after a minute next time. Hopefully making a margherita soon, although this damn 40 degree weather might have done a number on my basil plants...