Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The best way to season iron is with Flax Seed Oil, end of story.

Options
RichardBronosky
RichardBronosky Posts: 213
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Just be careful. Using scientific words doesn't make it scientific

She mentions using bacon fat means you're swimming in carcinogenic nitrates. Um. No. She's confusing a couple things

And if she's worried about nitrate, she better stop eating celery, spinach, beets..... (but i digress)

My main issue is that all the disparaging comments about other fats mention things like 'being sticky' or wearing off. Well. If you dont use your cast iron, it will get sticky. That's not the oil's fault. That'syou wanting a pretty pan because it looks cool. Oil takes a while to go sticky or rancid. And that never had a chance in gramma's kitchen. Thatpan was used regularly, if not every day

Any cooking fat is perfectly fine. Flaxseed oil may harden (like linseed oil on oak), but innuse under heat it softens

Bottom line: gramma never seasoned her pans. She used them.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ...cant edit on the phone any more. Should have said 'bottom line for me'
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    Read that article a while back. A lot of information (and disinformation/opinion). Worth reading but i echo what Stike said.My mother kept a soup can of bacon grease on the stove and used it in everything (made cereal interesting) and most cooking was with CI  skillet. Everything tasted great.Am now in the process of revitalizing that skillet now to use in the Egg.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have used flax seed oil and its not any better than the others for the initial seasoning from what I have seen. I was given one of these for cleaning cast iron and it works amazing for those pieces that just won't wipe off. http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=36029