Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

PartyQ technical question?

edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just got the PartyQ. Going to use it tonight on a butt. Looks simple enough, but the directions weren't too clear on a few technical issues. Do initiate the PartyQ after I light the Egg, or after I get it up to temperature. And what is the correct position on the Daisy wheel. I assume it's completely closed. As always, I appreciate any and all suggestions.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·

Comments

• gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 816
    I don't know about the PartyQ but I have an Auber controller and I keep the top vent open about the thickness of a penny.  I think you still want to have a draft from bottom to top even if it is assisted by a fan it needs to exhaust.

Gerhard

·
  • JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 191
    I let it come up to close to temp before using the PQ, and then leave the vents open a very little bit. If it gets too hot, close the vents down, but you don't really want them so tight that the fan is always running. Also, if you're going to open the lid to check on things (for whatever reason), shut the PQ off before doing so.
    I just did two BB with the PQ and they came out very well. It took longer than normal since I was able to hold my XL at such a steady low temp (210*). Love my PQ!
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    ·
  • Thanks for the advice boys. 4 am- just getting the butt going. The PartyQ is ridiculously easy to use.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·
  • waeggerwaegger Posts: 63
    Done 6 cooks with my pq and jayhawkeye is right on.
    ·
  • What I do with my party q... I get it within 25 degrees of my desired temp and attached the Prob to the grate.. To warm up the Prob to avoid overshoot. Then I connect the party q after about five minutes of attaching the prob
    ·
  • ben4uncben4unc Posts: 14
    I love my new Party Q!  I put it on when I get close to temps and leave the wheel open about the size of a penny.
    ·