Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well there goes my gasket

JEC23
JEC23 Posts: 131
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
After bedding in the gasket as per BGE's recommendation it died on my first 600 degF cook!  Finished cooking came back to find a funny smell, cooker temp had risen to 750 and the gasket was nuked

All I have left is this

Inside of the the rim is a mess as you can expect, BGE UK have the high temp gasket but you can't get the 3M spray glue in the UK, it doesn't meet out regulations, can't believe it!!!

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Probably can just use contact cement. Doesn't have to be sprayed
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Probably can just use contact cement. Doesn't have to be sprayed
    gotta be high temp though (77 is high temp, but there are better options out there)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JEC23
    Google seems to be drawing a blank, guess the UK loves its people more :)

I'll be phoning BGE UK on Tuesday after the Easter break
  • Actually, it does not say high temp anywhere. Thought it was. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    77 isn't high temp.  it's simply rubber cement in spray form.  it is originally an arts and crafts spray version of rubber cement.  no special high temp properties, it's merely for ease of application
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 77 isn't high temp.  it's simply rubber cement in spray form.  it is originally an arts and crafts spray version of rubber cement.  no special high temp properties, it's merely for ease of application
    I knew you were lurking out there so I checked myself :))
  • stike
    in fact, there are those who spray it into a cup and apply it.  which makes me howl every time they mention it.  they paid a premium for sprayable rubber cement, then simply brushed it on.  would have been better off just using regular rubber cement.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I've used plenty of rubber cement, and super 77 is definitely a lot more powerful than plain old rubber cement, took 2 days and 3 showers to get pieces of it off that i let dry to my skin.
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153

I recently got a replacement hight temp gasket from Alfresco Concepts myself, they gave it me free in exchange for info on the adhesive I used and I had hoped they would start to offer some advice to their customers. I did some research on 3M super77 and found that they do a version for the UK market called 3M Scotch Weld 77 apparently this is very similar in content but up to UK requirements, however as previously stated by others it is just a basic spray contact adhesive with as far as I can find out absolutely no thermal rating. I then looked at using a thermal rope and tape adhesive made by a company in the UK called Vitcas, this is rated for use up to 1000 0c and is used to glue thermal rope and tape to stove doors and range cookers, however when I experimented with this I felt it wasn't to my satisfaction when used with BGE high temp gasket, it made the gasket almost solid as it dries hard, at the same time I purchased this I also bought some of Vitcas heat resistant silcone which is rated to 300 0c and decided to use that instead as silicone will stay flexible after it cures and after a week of heavy use and a burn off, I have to say it's perfect. I feel I should also warn you about the problem I had when putting the bands back on (as really it's not advisable to leave them on whilst dealing with the gasket) when removing the nuts on the bands they managed to get cross threaded due to the way they bind when tightening, the amount of pressure required to "bend the bolts" is such you probably will not be able to reuse them I ended up turning the bolt on the bottom band inside the sqaure retainer then starting to twist the band itself! Not good, never mind all I did was cut off the wrecked bolts and replaced with a decent set of m8 bolts tightened up and the band pretty much staightened itself out (no wucking furries mate) hope that this helps you, and I can definately recommend the high temp gasket from BGE UK as a good replacement even though I would probably get a Rutlands if they were available here. Here's a pic of the silicone I used:

• JEC23
    @jay75 thanks for the tips, will be calling alfresco on tuesday as really not happy, did everything the said to do to protect the gasket, found the 77 scotch weld stuff to but will look out the other stuff as well, I don't intend to pay for the upgraded gasket and will push for new fixings too. Thanks again
  • stike
    i have used the supoer77 for about twenty five years in my day job.

contact cement and 77 are essentially the same thing.  both natural latex rubber.  77 is just thinned with solvents so that it can spray.

there is no magic in that can
  • JEC23
    Just checked the site out, shows resistant too 1250 for the one in your picture, did you just apply to the egg and then stick the gasket on?
  • jay75
    I did scrape both the base and the dome clean with stanley blades and then used acetone to finish, then applied a thin bead, smoothing it out after with an adhesive comb spatular (one like you get free with tile adhesive) just enough to completely cover the width (too much will make for a lot of clean up afterwards) then I applied the gasket to the lip slightly pushing it back on itself not quite bunching it up but you will get my drift when you do it, then I left it to set for about 2 hours before I tried to reassemble, 24 hours later it was fully cured. I think you are looking at the sealant on Vitcas site which is a caulking paste rather than a silicone, I don't know how that sealant will stand up to the knocks that opening and closing the dome will cause over time that's why I chose to go with silicone, it's the next one down only rated to 300 0c but I have found it to be more than enough, no sign of damage to either gasket or seal, gasket is only rated to 350 0c anyway. If you decide to go with the caulking sealant instead let me know how it goes.
  • JEC23
    Thanks @jay75 I will order the one you used tomorrow, emailed BGE uk so let's see what happens. Where in the UK are you?
  • jay75

I live on the south coast in Dorset, where are you based?

You should be fine with the guys at Alfresco, I still feel that BGE could be sending eggs out with the high temp gasket pre-installed especially seeing as how they are no longer providing feet in the box and just about everyone fries the felt one with their first pizza, all the same I wouldn't be without mine now, it's just too addictive!

If you haven't already watched it there's a very helpful 3 part video on youtube BIG GREEN EGG NOMEX GASKET PART 1 OF 3 INSTALLATION SMOKINGUITARPLAYER VIDEO. I just adapted his method.

• JEC23
    I'm in Devon so right end of the country to you, I've been BBQ'ing for around 4 years properly now and very impressed with me egg already. Yes definitely think they should ship them with the best gasket rather than the felt one. You should check out Grillstock at Bristol at the end of June loads of egg stuff there plus top BBQ folk, it's great.

Already had an email today from alfresco so got high hopes there
  • I have both BGE and Primo Xl. Primo gasket last 3 years and was my fault. BGE  lasted 3 cooks. I like both  units.
  • asfish
    asfish Posts: 25
    edited April 2012

I have the same issue, I followed the advice, and I even
    light the egg twice with nothing in it

First round of pizza with just the wife and I was fine, then
    she told her sister and friends so next thing I was doing it for 8 people and
    that started to burn the gasket

On Christmas Day I more or less finished it off cooking
    roast potatoes at high temp in Goose fat

Alfresco Concepts did send me a replacement seal, which I
    haven’t used yet. I probably won’t as like others I just heard about this
    improved one.

I did pizza again over Easter followed by pulled pork and
    the lack of gasket didn’t really make a huge difference.

Alfresco need to sort themselves out, the website was just
    pulled down for 2 weeks pending an upgrade, they have no information at all on
    the site re the gaskets. They also don’t appear to be on top of the 3M glue
    issues either, I was told they were getting a UK equivalent, 3M told me that
    they don’t do one!

• jay75
    @asfish I feel your pain, the thing with 3m is that It's only a contact adhesive, like Evostick and when I contacted them about super 77 and scotch weld 77 they told me they're for the same purpose but for UK requirements, I decided to go with a thermal rated silicone adhesive designed for use on stoves and so far so good.
  • JEC23
    Don't knock alfresco too much. If you call them they will sort you out, website is being upgraded to provide more information and in 2 weeks an online store for spares and accessories. I can't fault the personal service I have reviewed from them, my new gasket and CI grate (half moon cracked on first use) will be here today, the glue thing is difficult because of UK regs but either the victas stuff Jay mentioned or the 77 will work, I have both and use whichever I think is best when it arrives. Don't worry too much about the 77 not having a temperature rating as far as I am aware no one on here has had an issue. If you are struggling with alfresco, Kerry is really good and failing that the company is run by Ellie and David Ezrine, all of them are super helpful.

Wow impressed that the UK group is expanding, are there more than the 3 of us?
  • asfish

Alfresco have always been very helpful, and are a good company. However I spent the best part of £2,000 on an XL and extras. As such I feel that this gasket issue should be better managed.

All of the solutions are linked to the US for purchase, I looked at the Permatex solution, again you can't really find that anywhere in the UK at a decent price. Its 6$ a tube in the US and £21 in the UK. I would need 6 tubes for an XL.

I just want one solution, I don't expect it to last for ever, but I'm not replacing the gasket everytime I want pizza!

• JEC23
    I understand your disappointment I felt cheated when mine burnt away to a crisp, have high hopes the new one will stand up to some serious use.
  • JEC23
    New high heat gasket fitted using the Scotch Weld 77 glue in the end. Took 3 nights work in 1 hour stints but finished off tonight. Snapped one of the bolts on the band adjusting the under bite so had to take half of it apart, glad I had a spare bag. Tight fit 90% of the way round, oddly the front is a little looser? Any ideas??
  • asfish

In the end I ordered 2 Nomex gaskets from the US as well as 12 tubes of Permatex for future use

Fitted the Nomex a few weeks ago, on the XL I was able to lift the lid back and fit the gasket without taking
    anything off. I had to sort of wedge the egg with the lid opened against my fence.

Also had a friend help me, this was my personal choice as I'm bad at anything like gasket fitting!

I have only done a couple of low cooks to date but it’s all good far.

I still think that Alfresco could do more with the gaskets, they are not that well informed and should be importing better quality products for UK  customers.