Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

un-even burn

Options
DHW
DHW Posts: 11
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I cannot seam to get my large egg to burn evenly. The lower right side always seams to have less fire and i am constantly having to shift the food around to get even cook. I have made sure to clean all the air holes, i will stirr around the coals to be sure to get heat in this area, just cannot seam to get it going evenly. Any thoughts?

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    You might want to pull out the firebox and clean behind it. When i did I was surprised at how much ash fell through the holes in it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Is this a recent problem, or has it always been like this? Sounds like an alignment issue. What is the status of your gasket?

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I noticed my fire box had slid over against the wall. This, I think, was from moving the table across my back porch a few times. I believe that would cause a lack of air flow in that area..You might check for that. 
    Eggo in N. MS
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Start your fire in that area and it should help.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    if you light dead center the back left is usually hotter, it has something to do with how the air comes thru the lower vent and travels up the back of the egg. if im cooking wings the drummettes go to the back of the cooker, smaller wingettes to the front. bigger thighs go to the back, legs on a turkey face back, thicker end of a brisket towards the back etc.. if you need a more even burn do what smitty said but im more apt to live with it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DHW
    DHW Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks for all the info, i will pull everything out and clean again and check my gasket. sounds like something i just may have to live with. thanks
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    thanks for all the info, i will pull everything out and clean again and check my gasket. sounds like something i just may have to live with. thanks
    You won't have to live with it. They cook very evenly so keep tweaking and you'll figure it out.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX