Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

skinless spatchcock chicken

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anybody tried it? We made a spatched chicken tonight and it was delicious, as usual. Neither my wife, nor I, eat the skin. When we peal off the skin, most of the seasoning is on the skin and not the bird. We were discussing making a skinless one next time. What are your thoughts.

I know, the skin is the best part, but I've lost 25 lbs and want to keep it that way.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Why not. We (well I) never eat the skin either and I think the same thing all the time. Id imagine it would be just like cooking boneless skinless chicken breasts.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @cazzy good point. We usually do a chicken once per week. I'll give it a try next week.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Options
    I think if you took the skin off the chicken it would not be as moist and tasty as it is when the skin is on. The fat from the chicken skin really gives it some extra flavor.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You might want to marinate it in youghurt or buttermilk for a while

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing as I do my chicken thighs skinless.Was thinking about just lifting the skin and sprinkling the rub under the skin but on the meat,cook with skin on then remove the skin when done hopefully getting the best of both- moist but with seasoning still there? May try that this weekend.Anyone already tried it, report? Not too much on this great site that hasn't been tried! Also,would the "meat glue" still work if you mixed a rub with it then applied it?OK I'm done.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Maybe a little but my boneless skinless chicken comes out super moist and tasty.  I think the extra benefit would be getting to taste some seasoning.  I toss the skin to my dog so I never really taste any seasoning.  We will see how it turns out next chicken cook.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    As DOCED suggested, lift the skin and put the rub directly on the meat; skin on definitely helps with moist-ness.  You may need to use some toothpicks to pin the skin in its original position.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Couple myths about skin. 1 that it keeps it moist. Nah. Overcooking is the only thing that dries out meat, including even drying meat (dry aging). If dry aged meat is still juicy, after giving up 20% of its weight in water, then taking skin off chicken will not dry it out. Just dont overcook

Other myth is that skinless is less fattening than skin on. It's eating an oversized meal that makes us fat, not skin on chicken. The fat renders away anyway

If you still want to go skinless, you'll be fine. Just dont overcook it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    Stike has a point. The thighs with skin off are moist but I sauce them at the end. I used to be a big fan of those oversized meals, ah the good ole days.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Skin is very high in cholesterol
    Mark Annville, PA
  • stike
    Options
    the body needs cholesterol. and fat.

all things in moderation.

my point is that there are times when people remove the skin from chicken, pronouncing it healthier that way, while sucking down twice the food they should, along with five beers and other foods that undo the whole skinless-chicken thing.

like ordering a diet coke at mcDonald's
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @stike you are absolutely correct. I used to be one of those people. I have become more health concious and tend not to over eat. I've also cut a large quantity of fat and cholesterol from my diet. I will get enough cholesterol from the meat that I consume without the skin. That is why I choose not to eat the skin. I'm even down to 2 beers per week. I do miss my beer. ;-)
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

After reading this earlier, I thought I would put a couple of 3.5 lb skinless birds on for dinner. I used BGE rub 350° direct heat at the felt line. I love them. Very moist.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• cortguitarman
    Options
    Thanks bigguy for the test run. I.can't wait to give it a try.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

It cooked quicker than normal. In the past with skin, 1 hr 30 min. Without skin, I went 1 hour 15 minutes and it was 187° in the breast. I thought it was burnt and dried out but I couldn't stop eating. My neighbor came over and said he want to buy an egg and then took home 1/2 a chicken.

I can't say I will cook a chicken with the skin again. I did over season it. I'm use to how much I put on in the past but without pulling some skin after the cook (and loosing some of the rub) it was a little much. 

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Last night, the wife and I had a cpl of large bone in, skin on chicken breast w plenty of Dizzy Pig on them and they were quite tasty and very moist (pulled at 165). We didnt eat the skin, thus couldn't taste hardly any rub. Tonight I bought the same breast but skinless, rubbed em up and they had much more flavor. We're not a big fan of the skin, so it's skinless from now on.
  • stike
    Options
    Never heard so many people that didnt like chicken skin. In fact, before joining the forum, never heard of anyone that didn't.

Crispy skin. I'd eat it first and throw the chicken breast in the trash. Healthier to eat only the skin :))
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    We might like the skin more if I could get it crispy. Haven't got that 1 down yet.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Not sure if it's been said, but with spatch birds, you can get the rub under the skin.  First thing I do is buy a Grade A bird. I've found Grade A birds have complete skin: no rips, tears or missing skin.  After you spatch the bird, it's a left side, right side process.   Start at the thick end of the breast, use a knife or finger and open up the skin from the meat.  Then gently work your finger down into the leg.  Dump in the rub, salt and work it around. Then do the other side.  I go heavy on the rub.    

Hope this helps.   

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I would think if you brine the chicken pieces beforehand you shouldn't have a problem with them drying out. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing as I do my chicken thighs skinless.Was thinking about just lifting the skin and sprinkling the rub under the skin but on the meat,cook with skin on then remove the skin when done hopefully getting the best of both- moist but with seasoning still there? May try that this weekend.Anyone already tried it, report? Not too much on this great site that hasn't been tried! Also,would the "meat glue" still work if you mixed a rub with it then applied it?OK I'm done.
    The meat glue should work as long as there is not so much rub that it covers too much of the protein areas to be bonded. Go light on the rub the first time and add more next cook if you need to. I'm very interested to see how this works but I haven't been able to try it yet.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I always take the skin off my thighs, they seem to marinate faster(probably my imagination). I did find this a few weeks ago, take it with a grain of salt.

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Options
    We always cook chicken skinless...spatchcock and/or pieces. I use various rubs, cook raised direct @400 dome for approx 45 minutes. Chicken is always moist and tender. The only poultry I cook with skin on are turkey and cornish hen.

Try skinless...it's very good!
    Fairview, Texas
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I did a bunch of BSCB last night and marinated them in yoghurt and roasted garlic salad dressing for a few hours. Really good.

Steve 

Caledon, ON