Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg like cooker at Canadian Tire

Options
gerhardk
gerhardk Posts: 942
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Canadian Tire has this BGE like cooker on sale next week for $699, $100 off their regular price.  I think I'll take a look just to see how it stacks up.

Gerhard

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    It does have an interesting rack inside of it. Let us know what you think??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Lowes is selling one similar to this . My four year old son saw it and asked "Daddy is that a Big Black Egg?". Funny stuff. He keeps asking for a Mini Big Green Egg for his fifth birthday. He says they're just his size.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I know someone that got that thing from Lowes and said it is a piece of %*#t. You get what you pay for.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I looked at the one at Lowe's and damned near flipped it over, I exerted as much effort lifting the lid as I would with my egg and knocked it off balance, I think it is made of tin (TIC). I would imagine that it would cook just fine, one would probably have to babysit it more than the egg but for the average person it would probably be okay.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I looked at the one at Lowe's and damned near flipped it over, I exerted as much effort lifting the lid as I would with my egg and knocked it off balance, I think it is made of tin (TIC). I would imagine that it would cook just fine, one would probably have to babysit it more than the egg but for the average person it would probably be okay.
    I am an average person and it would not be OK for me. I agree that it feels light and unsubstantial.  It's hard to believe it could cook anything like the Egg. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    I like the slide out ash box or whatever that is. 
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I am an average person and it would not be OK for me. I agree that it feels light and unsubstantial.  It's hard to believe it could cook anything like the Egg. 
    I agree, most cookers aren't going to cook like the Egg.  I probably should have stressed that as far as holding temps and versatility I doubt the Lowe's cooker can compete with Egg because of the build.  I also doubt that those of us browsing and posting on this board are average.  We have to be slightly fanatical about cooking and the Egg in order to care enough to visit the board. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• RichardBronosky
    RichardBronosky Posts: 213
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    My Costco, which sold around 8 MBGEs a month or two ago now has what looks like a cheaper version of this Vision Kamado (i.e. It's still a Vision kamado, but appears to be a downgrade from the above).  It appeared to be about the size of a large BGE, came with a two tier stainless cooking grid, but the cart and top vent looked chromed.  The top appears non-removable, and the bottom vent was BGE-style, but smaller than my LBGE's and kind of loose.  IIRC, it was $579, which is IIRC what the MBGEs sold for.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I saw the same cooker at my Costco. For $200 more, get a large BGE with a lifetime warranty. I know what I'd buy...oh wait, I already did. I love my egg!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Eggx
    Eggx Posts: 1
    Options
    I just went through an extensive research looking for a new Grill/Smoker. Here is a link on the one from Costco/CT, it is called Vision Kamado by the way.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/trends/products/cant-afford-a-big-green-egg-try-these-cookers/article2095217/

The one CT sells has this ash tray which looks nice but if you look it up on Youtube you find people taping  around it since there is no gasket. It does not hold the temperature as well as other kamados do.

Costco sells the same but "traditional" style. The question there is warranty which is unknown but back up by Costco reputation.

Personally, I didn't like it, plain and simple.

I was about to get myself a Kamado Joe but found a very good deal on LBGE, so here I am :-))))