Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

aarongpeck
aarongpeck Posts: 5
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm new, and I know you guys have been through this 100 times.  However, I'm doing some pulled pork on the egg for my daughter's birthday.  I will be feeding about 40 people.  I believe I read that an 8lb butt will yield around 4lbs of cooked meat.  I figure generously, that 4 butts should take care of this.  Does that seem correct?  Also, as long as I have enough space between each but on my XL BGE, I shouldn't have to increase cooking time to do four, should I?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    The thumb rule I have seen (and not needed to use) is number of people / 2.4lbs = lbs of pork prior to cooking.  Perhaps others who have cooked for large #'s can validate or refute.  Regarding cook time, you are correct with your assumption-however, remember each butt is different so err on the "finish early" side as you can hold butts wrapped in HDAF and towels in a cooler for a few hours. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    It might work out as lousubcap said but you will get a 60% yield from raw and the serving average is 1/3 lb per person. Take into account teenagers and big eaters and allow more

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cooked it commercially for years. .5 lb per person + any sides will get you there with plenty of leftovers. 2 large butts (18-20lb total) will be plenty

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

with 32 lps of pulled pork .. you are going to make a lot of people happy when they take some home with them.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• I'm with Cen-Tex. large groups... use easy calculations, err on the doggie bag side... you never want to cut it close and run out.

Although other than the expense.... its just as easy to cook 32 lbs as it is to cook 20. Depends on how long you want pulled pork leftovers!

BOOMER!
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    cooked it commercially for years. .5 lb per person + any sides will get you there with plenty of leftovers. 2 large butts (18-20lb total) will be plenty

+ 1
  • Thanks for the advice, guys!