Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trex Method - Season before or after Sear?

Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is the trex method of cooking steaks when you lower the grate to sear and then get your egg to roasting temps, cook the rest of the way on regular grate level? Also, do you season before or after your sear with this method? Thanks for input!

Comments

• Not sure if it's technically that you have to "lower" your grate to sear.  You can also just get the entire Egg up to extremely high temps (though, personally, I've not had much luck w/ getting them back down quickly). 

Anyway, as far as the seasoning question - unless you're just using salt, it's good practice to season AFTER the sear, because most other seasonings can burn or char, as they might have additives such as sugar or other seasonings which doesn't stand up well to high temperatures. 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I do not understands people need to put more than salt and pepper on a good steak.  Why use a rub, a good ribeye has plenty of flavor with just salt and pepper.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    change of pace?
    why do people add tonic water to gin?
    :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    change of pace?
    why do people add tonic water to gin?
    :))

I guess i would buy a much cheaper cut of meat (pork shoulder, brisket, ect) if i was going to cover it with a rub.

• Mike - that's the beautiful thing about freedom, folks have the freedom to put as much, or as little seasonings on their food as they want. 

Personally, nothing beats Dizzy Pig's "Raising the Steaks" or their "Cowlick" steak seasoning (depending on the mood I'm in).  However, my GF enjoys a coffee rub on her steaks.  I don't like the taste of coffee, and therefore don't drink coffee, so to me, I couldn't stand having the taste of coffee on my steak.

I enjoy the enhanced flavor profile & additional flavors brought forth in adding a rub - each bite gives you the taste of the rub, mixed w/ the taste of the beef, which to me, is HEAVEN!! :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    and rub doesn't hide flavor.  it's an additional flavor
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I just put catsup on my ribeye when I eat them..... Kidding

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig