Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggs on the Beach

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, All:
I need for my parents to have an egg on the deck of their Oregon coast beach house. They're concerned, however, about corrosion. Has anyone had experience, positive or negative, with an egg in damp salt air?
Thanks in advance.
Jim

Comments

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Jim,
    I live on the coast but not on the beach, about 2 miles inland. Corrosion has not been a problem so far. My last grill was a rust bucket whick is one reason I choose ceramics & one of the other reasons was the cost of stainless, ouch.
    bruce

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Jim, Wow ! The one thing you do not need to worry about is how long the Egg will last. NO WAY it will be damaged or be affected by corrosion. As long as you do not drop it off the deck, it will last for a LONG time .... and the food will be INCREDIBLE, much better than you have ever had before !!

• Unknown
    Options
    Jim,
    I survived and my egg survived Hurricane Ivan. My egg was covereg with salt water from the Gulf of Mexico and it still cooks great. It is a clay egg which isn't manufactured anymore, I hope to upgrade this year to a ceramic egg when I get my house built to replace the house that was flooded. Buy your egg and enjoy it on the beach; just keep the hinges oiled and you'll be ok.
    cheers!!!

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Jim,[p]TimM (used to post here) live on the beach in North Carolina. He said the band and draft door can and will develop surface rust and you have to keep on top of it. As mulletsmoker said, oiling the hinge is also needed![p]Smokey