Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Roasted Garlic

chill243chill243 Posts: 96
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Make sure you throw a head of garlic on while egging, it comes in real handy for all sorts of stuff... ie on french bread, etc.
·

Comments

• VanDawg38VanDawg38 Posts: 43
    That's a great idea.  Can't believe it's the first time I've seen the suggestion (and I've roasted a lot of garlic in my days).
    ·
  • SandBillySandBilly Posts: 224
    I do it often, along with Jalapeños for salsa.
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,112
    Tell us how.  Indirect in a pan?
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Tell us how.  Indirect in a pan?

I cut whole heads in half and wrap in foil and roast until very soft, usually 45 minutes or so and then squeeze out the cloves and mash into a paste...it's great on many things.
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    Funny this is the first time I'm seeing this as well. Did the same this weekend for garlic mashed.
    Cut the top so all the cloves are exposed put in a loose foil pouch and cook indirect till soft.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,929
    YouTube elephant garlic on big green egg and look at freds music and BBQ. I tried this and it was awesome.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • chill243chill243 Posts: 96
    Just get a few big heads of garlic, cut the tops off and drizzle with olive oil.  Double wrap in alum. foil and cook until soft. (I usually try to be at or below 350, but it will work unless it's totally hot.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,814
    I used to do this while my egg was heating up for pizza.
    I do it while the egg is cooling down, after pizza.  I slice the top off like Tazcrash, but don't wrap in foil, just rub the top of the cut cloves with a bit of olive oil first.    

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    I peel first and then wrap in foil. Is it that much easier to do later?
    ·
    You can just squeeze the cloves out of the peels, so no peeling really....yep, much easier.
    ·
    No need to peel, remember the olive oil though...just the way I do it.
    ·
    10-4, thanks. Thats why I'm here, always learning something.
    ·
    I have 2 heads already roasted, think I might squeeze everything out and then freeze for later
    ·
    Ha...good video.
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    Lol, now I got a job for my son he will love!
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,914
    I make a sauce with sundried tomatoes, goat cheese and cream. Ladle the sauce over toasted baguette slices and serve the roasted garlic bulb with seafood forks so the cloves can be pulled out whole and spread on the toasts

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    That sounds right up my alley LS...recipe for that sauce, or do you wing it with the cream, sundried tomatoes,and goat cheese?
    ·
    I just wing it. The cream is just enough to make the consistency of a sauce. I'll throw some herbs in and such but the goat cheese is the main part. Some pepper flakes or cayenne helps too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Seems easy enough...thanks.
    ·

Cheers! I should mention that I sliver the sundried tomatoes as well

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

Great suggestion.    Resturant we used to eat at alot would serve roasted garlic - kinda dripped out of my mind till I saw this post.   I am sure I will be roasting some this weekend.

Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    YouTube elephant garlic on big green egg and look at freds music and BBQ. I tried this and it was awesome.
    Just a fun fact.  Elephant garlic is a member of the onion family, and is not a true garlic. 
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,112
    I never did this before, it was delicious.  I used the bowl method to shuck the garlic, and that worked too.
    IMG_3592.JPG
    2816 x 2112 - 2M
    IMG_3598.JPG
    2816 x 2112 - 2M
    IMG_3600.JPG
    2816 x 2112 - 2M
    IMG_3601.JPG
    2816 x 2112 - 2M
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·