Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BEST INVESTMENT EVER

chad408
chad408 Posts: 140
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought a 14 dollar heat gun from harbor freight on Wednesday to see if it would work like the looft lighter. The heat gun heats up to 1112 degrees on high and will have the lump going in 2 minutes max. This was the best investment and much than the looft lighter.

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I just looked that up. Not a bad purchase. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Cool looking heat gun.  The Looft is 2000 watts compared to 1500, 1254 degrees compared to 1112 on the Harbor Freight gun.  Warranty is 2 years for the Looft compared to 90 days.  I haven't found what the difference in CFM of the fans is yet.  Does anyone know?  This seems like a very good alternative to the Looftlighter for a lot less cash.  The 90 day warranty doesn't bother me too much since you can buy about 5 of these for the price of a looftlighter.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• chad408

Cool looking heat gun.  The Looft is 2000 watts compared to 1500, 1254 degrees compared to 1112 on the Harbor Freight gun.  Warranty is 2 years for the Looft compared to 90 days.  I haven't found what the difference in CFM of the fans is yet.  Does anyone know?  This seems like a very good alternative to the Looftlighter for a lot less cash.  The 90 day warranty doesn't bother me too much since you can buy about 5 of these for the price of a looftlighter.

Also I bought the 2 year replacement plan for 4.99 total cost was 19.96. It works really good too.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I have the looflighter and I have the cold in flames within 30-45 seconds where ever I put the looftlighter.
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • chad408
    edited April 2012
    I have the heat gun and have flames just a quick where ever i put it. I also only paid 19.96 for mine. I also dont have to hold a button down the whole time, flip the switch and let her go.
    I have the looflighter and I have the cold in flames within 30-45 seconds where ever I put the looftlighter.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Would a heat gun be useful in cleaning up residue from an old gasket (after manual striping) when doing a change?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Would a heat gun be useful in cleaning up residue from an old gasket (after manual striping) when doing a change?
    yes, but acetone works like a champ on that adhesive.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Would a heat gun be useful in cleaning up residue from an old gasket (after manual striping) when doing a change?
    A heat gun is what I will be using to remove the adhesive. The reason I use a heat gun for lighting is that I want to put NO CHEMICALS in my egg. Sure, acetone is "highly volatile" and should evaporate out, but they say lighter fluid will taint your egg forever...

Who has a charred gasket, a heat gun, and takes no chances? This guy! :-h
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    I used my mapp torch to clean the remnants of my old gasket and it
    worked great. It went a lot faster then the acetone. I imagine a heat
    gun would also work.