Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing wood chips

Options
Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend I did a rib cook and added hickory chips, tonights steaks were ok, to but if I want to cook a pizza or something should I remove all old lump and unburned chips? If this is the case does the "smoke" flavor remain in the egg for future cooks ie a hickory smoked pizza?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Ken

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    no reason to take them out.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Seasoned lump and wood chips is the perfect thing to cook pizza with.
  • maxPowers
    maxPowers Posts: 38
    Options
    Checking out this old thread and I have the same question.  Last night I did Salmon with alder chips and don't really want that smoke in my pizza or ribs.  How do I get the chips out easily without removing all the lump?

It seems like this would be a common problem, or does everyone just blend their chips with the next cook, regardless of what it is?
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    Use chunks, and then remove the chunks after your cook. 

Alternatively you can put all your chips in a smoke packet like you see on TV, or use a small cast iron pan to hold the chips, then you just remove the packet or pan when you're done. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Use chunks, and then remove the chunks after your cook. 

Alternatively you can put all your chips in a smoke packet like you see on TV, or use a small cast iron pan to hold the chips, then you just remove the packet or pan when you're done. 
    +1 on the chunks. Chips are for webers :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    chips or chunks both work fine.  chips usually become charcoal themselves eventually.  and that doesn't mean they burn, it really has more to do with low (or no) oxygen, and high heat.  even those chips that aren't consumed by the lit lump will blacken.  with no oxygen, they don't get a chance to burn, and yet the heat will drive off everything but the carbon.  that's exactly how charcoal is made. not enough oxygen to burn, but enough hat to drive out water, and 'impurities', leaving behind nearly pure carbon.

you'll get some residual smoke from some leftover stuff not totally carbonized (just like actual lump still has a little woodsmoke flavor), but it won't be nearly as pronounced as if you added new chips or chunks.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    I used huge apple wood chunks for my first cook. I then tried to remove them for my second, but they look the same a lump charcoal after one burn.  #-o
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • maxPowers
    maxPowers Posts: 38
    Options
    I used huge apple wood chunks for my first cook. I then tried to remove them for my second, but they look the same a lump charcoal after one burn.
    This was my problem in the past, after a long burn I couldn't find the chunks anymore, especially if I spaced them throughout.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    like i tried to say...
    they have become charcoal.

charcoal isn't burnt wood, it's wood that has had everything driven off except for carbon.  and that occurs under high heat, and in an environment where there is little or no oxygen.

that's the environment in your egg.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante