Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a little warning...

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In light of nature boy's story about an ember in the eye, I have since adopted a mapp lighting strategy that involves me standing to the back right of the egg, protected by the dome. [p]Well tonight, upon successfully lighting the egg, I stepped back around to click off the mapp and two embers shot up, with one hitting and sticking to my neck and the other hitting and sticking just above my right eyebrow. It hurts like crap, but it's better than an ember IN the eye. [p]Before lighting the small, I went in and got my sunglasses.[p]Just thought you should know that warnings like naytch's should not be taken lightly.[p]Beers to all,[p]Todd

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Mark Backer, thanks! That flying ember/spark of fire stuff is NOT something anyone needs in their eye. Always wear glasses and stand back and behind the dome lid....I have burned a lot of clothing before NB posted about this stuff CAN hit eyes ; not just clothing. Great advice.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Just close the dome down on your hand or arm or the cylinder itself with the torch inside...no sparks can get ya like that...a non egger suggest I do that while watching me use the mapp torch one time..I felt totally stupid...it works fine...HTH[p]Wess