Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg ought to be ashamed of these gaskets!

2»

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited April 2012
    well here is where it gets interesting...
    i thought "joe@bge" was someone at bge.

eggzilla used to post alternating 'official' stuff and non-official opinions.  with no known association to any BGE employee, it wasn't clear whether we should take the comments as legit

there really should be a clear unequivocal 'official' BGE form member.  by official, i mean that person never posts any attaboys, or opinions, or anything other than official responses and notices.

on the 'old' forum there was much confusion as to what was official, because known-bge employees would post something that would then be taken as official word. ...and yet it wasn't.

it's not quite clear whether 'eggzilla' is THE voice of BGE on the forum, and represents the party line.  "coming to you from HQ" (or whatever the sig line is) is a hint, but a new member here is not going to put 2 and 2 together.  BGERob has weighed in too, now and then.

but anything less than "BGE-HQ" or something similar is going to continue to keep people guessing.

maybe they don't want to get into a question and answer scenario, but i would think a clear official voice (and likewise, people who happen to be BGE employees not weighing in on official BGE stuff) would help make things crystal clear when they do decide to weigh in

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    I have visited the Factory, and can tell you guys that the original gasket is done because of production time constraints. It took me 15 min to remove the original and instal a Rutland with Permatex, plus the time needed to let the Permatex dry/cure. At the factory they can pack 5-7 XL in 15 min and have them ready at the door for transport, average 2-3 min for packing, this includes installing the felt gasket with self adhesive. So you can imagine the time and cost. The best idea would be to include the Rutland Gasket kit with permatex ultra copper for a self instal. Its a win/win situation.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Not sure how the surfaces look after you remove a gasket but could you remove the bands so you have the upper and lower as a seperate and add a lapping compound to the two, rotate, slide ect until you make the two surfaces fairly flat to each other? Then reassemble. Not sure how the temp probes will work??

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Stock gaskets work just fine.  3+ years and two eggs and only one replacement and it wasn't in that bad of shape.  I didn't do anything fancy with the replacement either...scraped it off with a putty knife and replace with a stock BGE gasket, did a low and slow butt cook to break it in and its been on well over a year and looks brand new.  One thing I did on the replacement was I made sure that the gasket was positioned more to the outside edge of the egg that the inside edge where it could come in direct contact with the extreme heat and flames - this seems to be working very well for me.  Two to three cooks a week and I don't shy away from high temps.  Another thing I stopped doing is feet down platesetter pizza cooks - works just as good feet up with a stone on the top and it doesn't deflect the heat directly at the gasket level.
    exact same for me. Large egg, 7 years, 3-4 gaskets total. I go blast furnace hot, low and slow, use 3-4 times per week. I did lose mine first weekend I owned it with a 700 degree temp steak sear but after replacing that, they have been OK. I do think that they are always in danger of getting fried and I do think they should be better, but I beat the hell out of my egg and it's not been a deal killer for me. Frustrating when it happens and I will probably upgrade next time but I have not seen the extreme fail rates as some of the others on here.  
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    I bring mine up to 700 all the time and don't see any wear at all on my gasket. Weird.