Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Spare Rib Process?

Options
coachbdouble
coachbdouble Posts: 18
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
cooking for a big group yesterday and did 6 slabs of spares using direct
heat.  i didn't have time to slow and low them, as i did 6 whole
chickens also.  they turned out pretty good, and the people eating said
they were great.  i thought something was missing or could have been
better and that's why i'm asking.  spares can be a little tricky.  i
cook ribs often but am new to the bge.  just trying to find the best
thoughts from the bge community on spare ribs.  thanks in advance.

Comments

• pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    Are you looking for direct heat recipes for spares?  I've only ever done them 3-1-1, never made a bad batch. 

I would guess that the "something" that was missing was smoke flavor, and possibly a different texture of the meat due to the faster, direct cooking which doesn't allow enough time for all the collagen break down. 
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    I do them indirect, 4 hours at 275. Works great every time 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I never foil them. If you have time, 5-0-1 if the best way i have found. throw on a dry rub first. I use dizzy dust. Cook them indirect for 5 hours. Then baste on bone suckin sauce and cook for 1 more hour. They will be extremely moist and tender but will not fall off the bone which is the way I like them. I go 250 dome.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I never foil them. If you have time, 5-0-1 if the best way i have found. throw on a dry rub first. I use dizzy dust. Cook them indirect for 5 hours. Then baste on bone suckin sauce and cook for 1 more hour. They will be extremely moist and tender but will not fall off the bone which is the way I like them. I go 250 dome.
    same
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    My process is the same, but I usually go 6 hours before basting....I like them closer to falling off the bone.